Unable to fold via Linux

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

rayers100

Unable to fold via Linux

Post by rayers100 »

Hello everyone,
I have a Dell Optiplex 360 running Ubuntu 14.04 (32-bit). I can fold on my gaming rig no problem but my client on my linux machine keeps returning "Connection refused" and when i try to fold via Chromium it cant find my client and it also tries to tell me im not using chrome or im out of date, which it isn't. I would like to use this machine as a 24/7 folder as it consumes less power and i dont have to worry about the computer i use everyday blowing up. Anyone know whats going on here?
bruce

Re: Unable to fold via Linux

Post by bruce »

Without information from your log, (see below) we can only guess ... but I have a vague memory that support for 32-bit linux has been discontinued. I'd suggest you upgrade to 64-bit linux. Personally I've used 14.04 and later versions, but they were all 64-bit.
ProDigit

Post by ProDigit »

I have the same situation on GalliumOs 2.1 (16.04 LTE, which also uses deb files and is based off Xubuntu, which is based off Ubuntu).
Same issues.
The client remains passive.
Best bet for now, is to install Google Chrome browser, and run the NaCl Client from the browser.
bruce

Post by bruce »

There's a script (/etc/init.d/FAHClient) that starts FAHClient automatically at boot time. It should then continue to run as a daemon. If that script is not working, you'll have to decide why it didn't install properly or if FAHClient is encountering a fatal error and shutting down.

One of the most common reasons for it to crash is if you manually introduced errors into the config file. FAHClient doesn't diagnose those errors. Can you start it with the default copy of config?

"Connecting" generally means FAHClient crashed -- or it could be an anti-spyware add-on that blocking a telnet connection to 127.0.0.1 36330
ProDigit

Post by ProDigit »

I think for linux it should be mentioned if a restart is needed.
Most programs run right after install.
Even system upgrades (core updates or upgrades) can run without reboot.

The problem is that the client .deb package on the site, is defective.
The RPM package (after conversion in Alien) installs fine, but also doesn't work.

After a reboot, still no luck.
bruce

Post by bruce »

What errors are encountered with the published version of the .deb?
See https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-issues/issues/1217
ProDigit

Post by ProDigit »

Thanks, I'll get working on a bug report.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Be sure that each bug report describes a SINGLE problem.

You can add details to an existing report as long as you create a new one as long as something else needs to be fixed.
ProDigit

Post by ProDigit »

Ok, the issue seems to be resolved.
The Deb package is working fine on Xubuntu 19.10.
GalliumOs uses 16.04 (LTE), and is very old. I guess the deb package only works with more up to date versions of Linux.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

That is probably connected to GalliumOS and its packaging, not Ubuntu. I have a system that I installed folding on which runs Ubuntu 16.04, I had no such issues getting folding to work. Main issues I did have were related to getting all OpenCL support libraries installed for GPU folding.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

Have you considered installing Ubuntu directly? GalliumOS is an "unsupported" distro and while we might make some lucky guesses, we're really not in a position to understand what might be different.
ProDigit

Post by ProDigit »

Gallium OS had too many deb packages, as well as online packages that would error when installing.
Like a good 4 programs out of 20 had errors.
I switched to Xubuntu, and it works like a charm.