Will folding@home works better with managed GCE server.?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

AlisonJohnson

Will folding@home works better with managed GCE server.?

Post by AlisonJohnson »

I am running a community portal within my university the portal is hosted on the manged Google Cloud hosting server which is powered by the third party host named Cloudways. So, will folding@home works fine with this managed GCE server or I have to migrate to the conventional GCE server and then try the folding cloud.?
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: Will folding@home works better with managed GCE server.?

Post by foldy »

For CPU folding it should work everywhere. For GPU folding you need OpenCL drivers. FAH also runs as client not server so no problems with firewall expected except it has some bad rules.

I tried vast.ai gpu cloud service which uses linux docker images nvidia/opencl:Ubuntu-16.04 and can run CPU and GPU without a problem.
bruce

Re: Will folding@home works better with managed GCE server.?

Post by bruce »

foldy wrote:FAH also runs as client not server so ...
In other words, the computational resources you're donating to FAH are inside your own machine, with whatever OS you're running and whatever drivers and with the client installed on your own machine. The external resources needed are mostly an internet connection.