Am I missing something about the way points work?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

theautarch

Am I missing something about the way points work?

Post by theautarch »

I seem to be getting about 10% of the estimated points for a work unit. I just joined a few days ago. I just started a new user/passkey from scratch, and the same thing happens.

Very first WU submission:

I see this in the log:
06:10:26:WU00:FS00:Upload complete
06:10:26:WU00:FS00:Server responded WORK_ACK (400)
06:10:26:WU00:FS00:Final credit estimate, 2076.00 points

But it got me 207 points.

If I am missing something, why is everything called points? According to the PPD estimate across all my GPUs, I should be getting over a million points a day.

I'm very confused :(

Thanks!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Am I missing something about the way points work?

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

From the Points FAQ - https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/points/
What are the qualifications for the QRB?

The bonus is applied for users who use a passkey, have successfully returned at least 10 bonus-eligible WUs, have successfully returned 80% or more of assigned WUs, and returned the unit before its Timeout (formerly Preferred Deadline). Bonus points do not apply to partial returns.
You appear to be folding under the same username as you have used to post here. Looking up that name I see that you have returned a total of 12 WU's, the last 2 WU's received bonus points. The earlier ones that qualified your username & password combination received just the base points defined for WU's from each project.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
theautarch

Post by theautarch »

Thanks for the reply!

Just to be clear, you're saying that the estimated points and PPD displayed in the client reflect bonuses from the get-go and that I shouldn't expect to receive what it says? That's a bit confusing, even with an FAQ.

What can you tell me about my previous user:
https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/20681583
I had 98 WUs and still wasn't receiving what the client says in estimated points or PPD.

I started my new user because I was very confused.

Thanks for your time!
bruce

Post by bruce »

Yes, that's the way it works. FAHClient does not check whether you are eligible for the bonus or not ... it just reports the estimated credit with the bonus.

Now that you're qualified for the bonus, it will be accurate (unless you fall below the 80% requirement).
theautarch

Post by theautarch »

OK, great! I just remembered that with the old user I made up my own passphrase instead of requesting one, so that was probably the issue there. First user, comedy of errors. Second user, impatient.

Just for my own knowledge, how does the 80% work? Since I have 11 slots running, ie, 11 open pieces of work at all times, does that mean I need to reach 69 completed WUs before I get the full bonus?

Thanks!

EDIT: my math is wrong on the WUs required, but you get the idea. I haven't done algebra in a while :)
Last edited by theautarch on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

theautarch wrote:What can you tell me about my previous user:
Looking up that user shows just 2 WU's returned with a passkey. The last WU's returned by each different setup you used in the last few days show points awarded for the base points and no bonus.

As bruce mentioned, the folding client does not check whether your current username and passkey combo is eligible for a bonus. It just gives an estimate based on whether or not a valid passkey entry has been entered into the client. If there is no passkey entered, then the estimate will just show the base points.

And to answer the question you posted while I was entering this, you just have to complete 10 WU's for the username and passkey combo across any systems or slots.

Edit - For example, the last WU for you shown as credited:
Hi TheAutarch (team 86565), Your WU (P14124 R6 C16 G24) was added to the stats database on Fri, 29 Mar 2019 18:05:25 GMT for 163932 points of credit.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
theautarch

Post by theautarch »

Thanks, Joe. I realized after I asked that I forgot that I messed up the passphrase on that user. I made up a hex key and put it in all my clients instead of requesting one. Duh.