Problem running the software on a new PC

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

happy_face

Problem running the software on a new PC

Post by happy_face »

Hello, I'm new here. :) I'd like to contribute to the project, but unfortunately I'm having problems with the software.

I use Windows 10 Pro x64 (version 1903) on Threadripper 1950x, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080 Ti (with latest GPU drivers). I have 2 separate Windows accounts - a regular user account that I am always logged into and that I always work from and an administrator account that I rarely if ever log into.

So I tried installing the software from my regular account as I do with every other software. I chose the "express" option as recommended by the installer. The installation didn't put any shortcuts on my desktop or the Start Menu after it was finished so I ran the software from "Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\FAHClient.exe". A DOS window opened and after a few seconds I see a bunch of errors: "ERROR:WU00:FS00:: iostream stream error: Access is denied".

I think that the software didn't install properly, but why? Any help is greatly appreciated as I have two 16-core systems with GTX 1080 Ti which I want to contribute with in my free time. Thanks in advance!
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: Problem running the software on a new PC

Post by foldy »

This is my link calling hide console to not show DOS window:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\HideConsole.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\FAHClient.exe"
And my working directory in the link is

Code: Select all

C:\ProgramData\FAHClient
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

"ERROR:WU00:FS00:: iostream stream error: Access is denied". may hint you have not whitelisted FAHClient.exe in the firewall.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

No, it's file IO issue (most likely permission).

Are you using the shortcuts created at installation to start FAH ? If not, you'll have to create your own with correct settings given by foldy and adapted to the locations you chose.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

Reminds me of a post I made prior, due to an incorrect shut down of FAH, a FAH work directory may remain in a 'read only' status, and cause a "iostream stream error: Access is denied" error as well.
In my case, I just had remove the 'read only' setting on the work directory (I think I actually just removed the read only on the entire FAH directory and all files); and it would continue folding.