MODS and F@H team: Thank You!

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

SHARKB8T

MODS and F@H team: Thank You!

Post by SHARKB8T »

Hi,

New donor here. Last time I did something like this was participating in SETI many many many years ago - before most "gamers" were born.

I want to say thank you to the moderators of this forum here, and to anyone involved directly in the F@H project work is reading, thank you for doing the work you do, enabling the tool you enable, and attempting to leverage the value of the number of new users you are receiving. Thank you to the open source community that has been working on this important research tool silently in the background for years.

I know it has been a busy week/weekend for the teams!

We all know that COVID-19 isn't likely to be short sprint, but a long marathon. Providing resources to this is something small that I *can* do that hopefully may be helpful. I am trusting those responsible for the project to monitor the growth in capacity and the allocation of resources well. When there isn't work on COVID-19 projects, of course you can use my resources for other critically important research. I am certain this team will see rapidly growing capacity and I hope it sticks! I do believe Nvidia's, and other's, social media announcements / requests will get people on-board... for a while. I hope much of the capacity sticks. I also hope cloud providers are going to partner to give you the data storage space you need. (Hey AWS - Microsoft - Google - hellllo)

Really I just want to say I can see you are working hard - you are trying to explain to people that this is part of a MUCH bigger picture, and while you appreciate their willingness to donate, the resources to allocate work are stretched. I hope people avoid the judgement that comes so quickly to some.

If I could buy you a beer, I would. Cheers!
Last edited by SHARKB8T on Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denisok
Hardware configuration: Intel Core i7 3770K
Intel Core i5 M480

Re: MODS and F@H team: Thank You!

Post by Denisok »

+1
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

dang, I could use a beer or two by now!

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Bowi

Post by Bowi »

I agree with SHARKB8T!
gorgo2005

Post by gorgo2005 »

Yes, this thread is an excellent one! Brand new user here, appreciative of all the attention thrown my way whenever I have had issues to overcome. Thanks team, your efforts are being met with grateful praise!
iLoreto
Hardware configuration: 1. mbp i5 2.4GHz (4 CPU) 16GB
2. mba i5 1.8GHz (4 CPU) 4GB
3. HP ProBook i7 1.8GHz (8 CPU) 8GB
4. Lenovo IdeaPad i3 2.3GHz (4 CPU) 20GB
5. Lenovo IdeaPad i3 2.3GHz (4 CPU) 20GB
6. Lenovo ThinkBlade i7 XEON (8 CPU) 40GB
7. Lenovo ThinkCenter i7 XEON (12 CPU) 80GB

Post by iLoreto »

Very well said!
Being a new donor myself, this TY thread shares my current feelings towards this project. This marathon need many runners. I'm excited to join and dedicate add much metal as i can afford to run out of my lab.

Kudos and thank you to the project leaders and all of its supporting team.

"Onwards, upwards and forwards!"
Team Name:iLoretoDevelopment
Team ID:264740
Team Stats: https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/264740
Donor Name:iLoreto
Donor ID:145598594
Donor Stats: https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/145598594
Curt3g

Post by Curt3g »

Another newbie here...

"If I could buy you a beer, I would. Cheers!"

Second this.
markdotgooley

Post by markdotgooley »

I was contributing with multiple CPUs years ago but eventually quit. It took Covid-19 to bring me back, probably because I'm cheap. I greatly appreciate everyone who helps keep this all running. Just ordered an extra video card...
Toasty_MacNickels

Post by Toasty_MacNickels »

I'm also new. Set up a little home team with 4 PCs, each folding with a different username. I'm the only one that talks or posts, so to speak.

Anyway, hello!!

As things progress, I hope to post stats and the results of various efforts to improve points/watt. So far, champ seems to be an RTX 2080 (non-TI, non-super). An RTX 2070 super is beating it badly on raw PPD, though, bigtime. (In other news, had to swap out the GTX 980; bad news on PPD/watt. Now an RTX 2060.)

Just as a reminder to myself, I'm at just shy of 20 million points after something like a month. Hooray!

But summer heat is almost here... boo!!
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home Toasty_ MacNickels!

Summer is here for my hometown, high is 90 today. I have a ductless A/C in 'that' room.

I have much less ambitious hardware but through 11 years of persistence, more points. (for a while) GPUs are GTX 1060, GTX 1650, and GTX 1050 ti

I may exceed 20 million points this month as well, I have never broken 19 million PPM in the past, but got a Low Profile GTX 1650 added to a HP elite 8200, so 300k PPD more than usual.
I went over 19 million PPM today so far! 10 more days to rack up points!

All the volunteer's points help the cause to treat disease, so we can root for each other, and be proud of our own achievements.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Toasty_MacNickels

Post by Toasty_MacNickels »

Thanks for the encouragement, Jimbo. See you in the forum!
AnClar

Post by AnClar »

As a Folding newbie (464 WUs so far), I agree with everyone's comments. We are changing the world, one WU at a time. I cannot imagine the amount time and effort behind the scenes that has gone into the development and support of this amazing project. A big thank you to all involved!