Completely uninstall FAHClient on Mac

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

iaskyy

Completely uninstall FAHClient on Mac

Post by iaskyy »

Hi all, I installed FAH but I don't think my computer has the capabilities for it and I would like to uninstall it regardless.

I have a MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.15.3. Under Graphics, it says "Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB"

The Mac uninstall link from the website is unhelpful.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=29160 I tried following these instructions to install only the uninstaller, but it doesn't show up when I do it.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you all for the work you are doing.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Completely uninstall FAHClient on Mac

Post by Joe_H »

(fixed up the link to topic for you)

The uninstall page appears to have reverted to an old version of the page during one of the server moves, it is on a list of things to get fixed.

No Uninstall package showed up in a Folding@home folder on your Mac in Applications? That has worked in the past, will have try this sometime. My suggestion would be to try a full install then ad the run th Uninstall. If you want to remove all files related to the client, after uninstalling you can move a folder in /Library/Application Support called FAHClient to the Trash. That may request an admin password.

P.S. Your MBP would be able to assist using folding an your CPU, but GPU folding on any GPU is not supported on macOS.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
lkknapp

Post by lkknapp »

Just FYI - There is an uninstall package in the Folding@home folder in the Applications folder on my Mac (Latest Install)
RoninOfStag

Post by RoninOfStag »

Thanks!

Howver, the FAHClient is not there (I used an externally downloaded Mac Uninstaller and it only *partially* removed the software (it had the galls to ASK the user TO PAY for the uninstaller to remove the rest).

Not sure if the FAHClient got removed by the uninstaller or if the FAHClient file was never there to begin with. I have OSX 10.11.6.

Cheers and thanks again for all of your active help and resources!

--RoS
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

Then that was not a suitable uninstaller for F@h. In fact, most of the apps that sell themselves as uninstallers are poor for almost any app you want to remove. In almost every case you should either use an uninstaller provided with the app, or check to see if it only needs moving to the Trash. The second method may leave some personal settings files behind in your account, they rarely add up to much space.

stolley

Post by stolley »

lkknapp wrote:Just FYI - There is an uninstall package in the Folding@home folder in the Applications folder on my Mac (Latest Install)
Unfortunately the package seems to be damaged, it can't be executed.
Any other ideas?
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

stolley wrote:
lkknapp wrote:Just FYI - There is an uninstall package in the Folding@home folder in the Applications folder on my Mac (Latest Install)
Unfortunately the package seems to be damaged, it can't be executed.
Any other ideas?
Download the installer for OS X and do a custom install of just the Uninstall package.