Defining some terms, PPD and TPF, Base Credit etc

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

dreamtime

Defining some terms, PPD and TPF, Base Credit etc

Post by dreamtime »

I'd like to better understand some of the terms and abbreviations I am seeing on the client's view. Regarding Base Credits and Estimated Credits, what are they, how do they change, and what are some typical values? PPD apparently means Points Per Day but, again, what are some good values to expect? Finally, what does TPF stand for, and what are some good values to expect there?
ajm

Re: Defining some terms, PPD and TPF, Base Credit etc

Post by ajm »

You can always start here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036
And there is a detailed description of the points here: https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/points/
FoldingFodder

Post by FoldingFodder »

From the topic posted by ajm...
WU - Work Unit is a small time-slice of protein processing that is downloaded by your F@H Client from the appropriate Server. Your computer will process it and once it finishes folding, will upload the result to the Server and will request another WU.
Note: The duration to process this WU will vary from few minutes to few days depending on the type of WU, F@H Client, computer usage and several other factors. You will receive credits for a WU once it is successfully uploaded to the Servers and the Official Stats are updated (happens every hour).

PRCG - Project Run Clone Gen, is used to identify a WU that is assigned to you. A simple explanation and a detailed one can be read for further explanation.
Note: For a given Project number (and Protein name) there are many Runs, Clones and Gens so don't be alarmed if you seem to be processing the same Project/Protein again. The F@H Project doesn't assign duplicate WUs on purpose to keep Donors folding.

PPD - Points Per Day is the total number of points your computer is generating while folding the assigned WU(s).
Note: PPD will vary from WU to WU (even if they belong to the same Project) and will be effected by computer usage and other factors.

TPF - Time Per Frame means how long it takes to finish 1% of the assigned WU. 1% of a WU is equal to one frame.
Note: The TPF can vary significantly if the computer is being used. A dedicated folding computer experiences less fluctuations.
How PPD is calculated

PPD and TPF both appear to be measures of productivity. TPF wants to be as low as possible and in turn this will make PPD as high as possible.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Base credit is the worth of the science, in points.

The Quick Return Bonus, is extra points for returning the science rapidly. Once you finish a Work Unit, you still have to send it to the Servers successfully. Estimated Credit assumes this is instantaneous. Sometimes your upload take a long time and your actual points have gone down because the QRB has gone down while waiting to send. (it is a Quick Return Bonus, not a Quick Completion Bonus)

There are no actual numbers I can give, the CPU projects using Core_a7 run on CPUs all the way back to 2001's dual thread Pentium 4 Wilamette, and as new as a 256 thread AMD Epyc. so the range of 'good' is too great to quantify.

In a similar situation a 2010 Nvidia GTX 465 is about the oldest Graphics card that could fold, It had 352 cores, the fastest Nvidia card has 4352 cores. (2018's GTX 2080ti) so again there is too broad a range to predict.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Magiceye04

Post by Magiceye04 »

Is there any difference between the wording of "credits", "Points" and "Score" ?

The FAHcontrol tells me i have about 775000 "points per day".
The workunit is stated with about 15000 base credits and 100000 estimated credits
The account status page tells me i have about 100000 score (after a day).
Also the bonus is stated as points

Mod note - copied from 2nd post:

May post was deleted, so i post again the short version of my question:

not deleted, all posts from new members of this forum are moderated until they are approved. After that posts will show immediately.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum Magiceye04,

In short, they all mean the same things.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues