FAHControl doesn't work, FAHClient works fine (Windows)

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

m_vokhm
Hardware configuration: CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 kernels)
Memory: 16 GiB
No GPU

FAHControl doesn't work, FAHClient works fine (Windows)

Post by m_vokhm »

A couple of days ago I've installed the client from the fah-installer_7.5.1_x86.exe. Until recently, it had been working fine. But today I've tried to restart it and it's refused to start properly. When I start FAHControl.exe it shows
Client: Local UPDATING inactive
and do nothing more, and most of the GUI controls are disabled. It may stay in this position an hour or two, without any visible activity. But when I start FAHClient.exe, it works as a console application (in a DOS window) and does its job normally (downdoads WUs, process them and upload the results).
What's the matter? Is running the FAHControl.exe an improper way to start the client? Or may be some configuration file(s) has become corrupted? How do I fix this?
Another (though connected) question: is there a help or description or any other documentation that explains how to use the client, the meaning of displayed by the client information, and the purpose of its controls? I could not find.
uyaem

Re: FAHControl doesn't work, FAHClient works fine (Windows)

Post by uyaem »

I run it the same way and it's working fine. Are you running a (custom) firewall that may prevent the UI communicating the with core?
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X (1x21 CPUs) ~ GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super (Asus)
m_vokhm
Hardware configuration: CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 kernels)
No GPU

Post by m_vokhm »

Yes, I run a firewall, but its rules are configured to enable the FAH's traffic. And everything was fine until recently.
Now I've reinstalled the client, and it's working so far. Still I don't know what was the matter and how to avoid such issues from now on
uyaem

Post by uyaem »

I've had that twice too, each time I had restarted the core but left FAHControl running. Restarting FAHControl did the trick for me both times.
Possibly a bug where a broken connection is not detected and the client doesn't try again, or a (zombie) process blocking port 36330 when you started FAHControl.
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X (1x21 CPUs) ~ GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super (Asus)
m_vokhm
No GPU

Post by m_vokhm »

You must be right. Seems like the reason was a zombie, it didn't come to my head to check it beforehand. When I was uninstalling it, a zombie FAHClient was running and hindered in uninstalling, I had to kill it manually
Ztech72

Post by Ztech72 »

I am also having this issue with the Advance client. I am still folding and can see progress through the web control. I even went as far as uninstalling FAH, but left the data, did a reboot then reinstalled. This had no effect, still having this issue.

Anyone know what else i can do to get the Advance client to work properly again?
Ztech72

Post by Ztech72 »

I found my problem on this. I was trying to set up remote access to FAH, and that worked but I did not add 127.0.0.1 to that config. I found this out by digging into the Windows event viewer, had an error that showed it was trying to connect but connection was actively refused. I edited the config file and removed the remoting section, paused folding then rebooted. The Advance Client now works for me again.