Help setting up remote access?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ldm

Help setting up remote access?

Post by ldm »

Hi all,

I recently found out about Folding@Home and since I had a decently functional desktop sitting around I set it up to run FAH. I don't use it for anything else, and it's running 24/7. Since I had to set it up in a less-than-practical corner of the living room, it's not usually connected to a monitor (only when I'm checking up on it).
I noticed that there's a tab "remote access" in the configuration menu, which I'm pretty sure should let me control FAH from another computer? I'd love to set it up so that I can use my MacBook to control FAH running on the desktop. Is that possible, and if so could somebody help me with that? I'd be happy to answer further questions of course.

Thanks,
Laurens
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: Help setting up remote access?

Post by Jesse_V »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes, FAHControl can connect to another instance of the F@h software on another machine. For this, go to the desktop that you have in the corner, go to FAHControl, click Configure, click the Remote Access tab, and add your LAN's subnet into the "Allow" field of the IP Address Restriction. For example, mine says "127.0.0.1 192.168.0.0/16". Also put a password into the field at the top. Save this, then restart the software, or simply restart the computer. You may also have to open incoming TCP port 36330 in Windows Firewall too.

Then on your MacBook, open FAHControl, click "Add" in the bottom left corner, put in the IP address of the desktop and that password, click Save, and FAHControl should connect to the desktop. Let us know if you run into any issues with that setup.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
ldm

Re: Help setting up remote access?

Post by ldm »

Hi, thanks for your help! It works perfectly now, making things a lot easier :)