Any danger in a (possibly slightly) broken GPU?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Joker

Any danger in a (possibly slightly) broken GPU?

Post by Joker »

I have an older nVidia card that I used to run SLI with another like it. If I recall correctly, this card at some point developed some intermittent artifacting problems. It still appeared to render everything 3D correctly, but on the screen there would be times when the colors would get kinda screwed up.

I think I swapped the slots of the cards and used the other as my primary while the semi-broken one was still part of the SLI setup, and as far as I remember, that worked fine. The question is--if I try to use this broken card for F@H, and if it successfully works, is there a potential that it's returning erroneous data?

Is there ever a way to know if F@H simulations are bad? Or do they check themselves and simply fail?

-Joker
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: Any danger in a (possibly slightly) broken GPU?

Post by Jesse_V »

Hey Joker,

I don't know if I would recommend it. That kind of sounds like a memory problem, is my guess. You're welcome to try F@h and I'd just advise you to keep a close eye on the log to see if workunits successfully complete. The workunits check themselves and the server also does some final checks to ensure that the workunits looks sensible. You will see workunits fail halfway through or get rejected by the server. If you see that start to happen more than once, then remove the card.

F@h won't work very well with SLI so I wouldn't recommend that. That was tested in the research labs a number of years ago and it's actually more productive if each card takes its own workunit.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.