add passkey to existing account?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Craig_Reynolds

add passkey to existing account?

Post by Craig_Reynolds »

I've been folding for about a month now. I was told I should get a passkey. I did but when I added it to my identity (via the web client) my “points earned” dropped to zero. I guess it counts as a different identity with the passkey? Is there any way to merge a passkey into an existing account?

(If not, I will probably not use my passkey. Since as near as I can tell the benefit is to get more points (via bonuses) but using it will ignore/remove the points I’ve earned so far. Not a big deal either way, my goal is to contribute compute power not earn points.)
JimboPalmer

Re: add passkey to existing account?

Post by JimboPalmer »

It is counting them as separate IDs in the app, on the web it is grouped, but I do not find Craig_Reynolds anywhere. You may wish to check your name.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Within the F@H database, all of these are considered different identities:
Craig_Reynolds
Craig_Reynolds + Passkey1
Craig_Reynolds + Passkey2

The Webcontrol looks for Craig_Reynolds + Passkey since there's no enforcement of unique usernames. The combination of username + passkey is always unique. Do note that if you provide the same username and email address, you will get the same passkey.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
bruce

Post by bruce »

Assuming your controbution to Craig_Reynolds (+no passkey) is static once you become Craig_Reynolds + Passkey1, you can mentally add those earlier points to whatever you see.

Once you've started using a Passkey and complete 10 WUs and maintain an 80% success rate, you'll start getting the bonus points which are a very important contributor to your account. It won't be long before you'll just forget about those orginal points because you'll make them up rapidly.
Craig_Reynolds

Post by Craig_Reynolds »

Thanks Bruce and others for the information. OK I switched back to “folding as” user_name + passkey. If the web client is to be believed, it is estimating 12732 points for the WU currently running. (Whereas it had been estimating 4476 without the passkey.) It seems to be granting me bonus status even though it thinks I have zero points.

JimboPalmer: thanks for your concern, but I downloaded the daily_user_summary.txt file from https://foldingathome.org/statistics/ — it listed my user name and correct stats.

(Again, I don’t see how the points matter. The motto of the improvisational comedy show “Whose Line Is It Anyway?” was “the show where everything's made up and the points don't matter.” Thats what FAH feels like to me. Besides, I’m running on a Mac laptop, so it is CPU only, and my contribution is largely symbolic.)
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Craig_Reynolds wrote:(Again, I don’t see how the points matter. The motto of the improvisational comedy show “Whose Line Is It Anyway?” was “the show where everything's made up and the points don't matter.” Thats what FAH feels like to me. Besides, I’m running on a Mac laptop, so it is CPU only, and my contribution is largely symbolic.)
I am often tempted to quote that, but the people want help, so I resist. Points can help when you have multiple ways to address a problem, "Does a slot of 20 and another slot of 20 make more points than a slot of 32 and another slot of 8?" "Is my CPU so slow that my GPU makes more points when the CPU does not run?" In these regards, points is an estimation of science produced.

Other than that, it is just bragging rights. Let me brag: 529,568,921 points, 160,179 WUs, since 02.03.09 See, I feel better already! (I do/did a lot of low value WUs)

CPU folding is important, because it is capable of subtlety that GPUs can't achieve. Very frequently you see that in the sense that GPUs are discovering how COVID-19 infects, but CPUs are testing possible treatments for COVID-19. When fine detail is important, CPUs matter.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends