Advice for sharing FAH call

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ssrrzzaa

Advice for sharing FAH call

Post by ssrrzzaa »

Hi,
I'm so happy to be able to help FAH and it seems to be working fine on my laptop.
I'd like to share the project but was wondering if you have a few lines I could add about the risks of over heating, cost and liability etc - so people know what might happen and don't sign up if they can't deal with the risks.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Re: Advice for sharing FAH call

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum ssrrzzaa,

AFAIK, you're more than welcome to spread the word about F@H. You can also share your experience. However, I would like to point out few aspects based on your post:
1) Over heating - That's a system issue, not F@H issue. If your system is not being cooled properly, or is overclocked, then it isn't the software's fault for surfacing those issues.
2) Power - The system will use more power when it is in use than when it is idle or turned off. Power consumption will vary on few factors; PSU efficiency, CPU/GPU models, etc.
3) Cost - If you use more power, you would need to pay for it unless you have your own renewable energy source.
4) System - Do note that as per the EULA, if you own the system, you can install F@H Software on it. If you do not own the system, you will nee to have permission (generally written) from the system owner.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
alxbelu

Re: Advice for sharing FAH call

Post by alxbelu »

I'd add that the vast majority of laptops are not designed for prolonged heavy workloads like FAH, and will likely run at their designed thermal limits which may have some impact on overall hardware life span, but will at least most likely cause fans to run at 100% which is often somewhat annoying.

For Intel based laptops running Windows, here are some workarounds to limit heat generated (by limiting the CPU, which in turn may negatively impact the user experience on the laptop): https://www.geeks3d.com/20170213/how-to ... -notebook/
Official F@H Twitter (frequently updated): https://twitter.com/foldingathome
Official F@H Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Foldinghome-136059519794607/

(I'm not affiliated with the F@H Team, just promoting these channels for official updates)