Multiple PC's - one account

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Marcel_Eggenkamp

Multiple PC's - one account

Post by Marcel_Eggenkamp »

Hi there,

I have a very basic question, but i couldn't find the answer yet in this forum. I have successfully set up Folding@Home on my PC and its running perfectly fine. However, i also still have an older PC with Vista SP2 installed, which i can switch on to run some folding tasks.

Can i install folding@home on this older pc (according to specs - yes) and use my account on multiple PC's at the same time? Will it then allocate CPU and GPU tasks to both PC's at the same time? And does it make sense to use it given the specs:
Intel Core i3 550 4 cores @ 3.2 ghz
4 Gb ram
ATI Radeon HD 5670
Vista SP2

Love to hear your views, thanks!
ChristianVirtual

Re: Multiple PC's - one account

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Welcome to the forum Marcel

Yes, you can run as many PCs as you like under one username. Important is to obtain and use a “passkey” and use that in combination with your username during the setup of all clients.

https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/points/passkey/

Once you start cumulate points under that identity you can’t change it or transfer points to a new one (e.g. if you wish to change the username).

As for Vista ... not sure. Others will comment. Maybe you could install a minimal Linux on the system. But yes, all can be linked to one digital identity.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
SeanPearce44

Post by SeanPearce44 »

I don't think that GPU will be much use (not having OpenCL drivers available?) - I have a similar Radeon 5650 - found the Removing the GPU "slot" in the config allowed for more CPU threads to be used :D
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Radeon HD 6000 series are limited to folding on the 6900's. The rest lack Double Precision and can no longer be used for GPU folding.

As for Vista, I don't know if that can or can not be used. You will need to be using a 64-bit version. Active support for the previous version Windows XP ended, but at least one person has posted here that they have managed to get folding to work on an XP-64 system.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Marcel_Eggenkamp

Thanks all! I will give it a try and give feedback once i got it all up & running.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Oh and a correction or addition on my part, had the HD 6000 series on my my mind from another question when posting earlier. In the HD 5000 series only the 5800 series cards can still be used for the same reasons given for the 6000 series.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Marcel_Eggenkamp

Unfortunately, i get an error after installing on my Vista PC. If i want to launch the FAHControl.exe it says 'De toepassing kan niet worden gestart omdat de configuratie naast elkaar onjuist is. Raadpleeg het gebeurtenislogboek Toepassing voor meer informatie'. Which is according to google translate :-)
The application failed to start because the side-by-side configuration is incorrect. For more information, see the Application event log.