How to start

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

DaveQB

How to start

Post by DaveQB »

Hi all,

Firstly, great project that I feel I have been hearing about since I got into IT/computer tech (about 20 years ago).

This might be a simple and broad question but I wanted to report back my experience trying to get started.

Online searches pointed me to the page --> /start-folding/

But this lists 3 package options:
- client
- control
- viewer

But no intro tutorial to describe what is needed for what purpose.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So guessed the client could be a good start. Grabbed the deb package and installed with dpkg. During the install, I am asked for a username. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I searched further and have yet to find how you register a username.

Any help appreciated.
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Re: How to start

Post by Neil-B »

Welcome to the FAH Forums and Welcome to (hopefully) folding.

I am not in any way a Linux person but can maybe help with a couple of starter links ... The Help guide on the website https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/project-details/ (which I guess you might already have seen) might answer some questions ... and there are a number of Forums Posts that might help or be worth reading ... viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036 and viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17794.

Things have been rather hectic the last few weeks (massive surge in users) and various issues are still being sorted ... but ask away with questions and hopefully people will chip in and assist.

Most questions have probably been asked at some point - a simple search of the forums might get you answers to specific errors/queries ... and once you are up and running it is always worth posting log clips with problems as then you tend to get more specific answers - though people here are also quite good at guessing.

Again welcome ... and I hope someone from the Linux fraternity can assist you get up and running ... I would expect you to need the client (which does the actual work) and the control (which gives a GUI interface)

Edit:

Just spotted the username page in the help guide ... https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/s ... usernames/ ... probably worth applying for a passkey https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/points/ explains how "points" work and the QRB (which makes a big difference) - Passkey is one of the requirements for this, but also helps to make your username unique as to WUs and Stats will record against the username/passkey pairing - this solves issues if anyone else happens to choose your username.
Last edited by Neil-B on Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
Jan

Post by Jan »

Very dumb idea: Have you tried to just enter something and go with it? Usually you dont have to register in any way...
bruce

Post by bruce »

The passkey is your "registration." Even that is not required, though, just recommended.
FldngForGrandparents

Post by FldngForGrandparents »

Use this link to get your Linux up and running with all required packages and drivers.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/10 ... lding-rig/

Dedicated to my grandparents who have passed away from Alzheimer's

Dedicated folding rig on Linux Mint 19.1:
2 - GTX 980 OC +200
1 - GTX 980 Ti OC +20
4 - GTX 1070 FE OC +200
3 - GTX 1080 OC +140
1 - GTX 1080Ti OC +120
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Besides the FAQ Neil-B linked to, there are a number of other ones and Installation Guides here - https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/. About the only thing you will run into is that the guides have not been updated since the prior client release, so refer to 7.4.4 downloads. Very little has changed between the versions, so most of the information is still applicable. If something doesn't appear to be right for 7.5.1, ask here.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
DaveQB

Post by DaveQB »

WOW. What a fantastic response from the community. I will follow up on those links to help me to get going.

Is there a way that on the /start-folding/ page that this kind of information can be provided? Right now, it is just a download page, which can be all you need if the software holds your hand once installed, but for this project, there's 3 option to install and the client, for me, didn't make explicit how to attain a username etc.

Just my feedback for help make the on-boarding process for new users more seamless. But perhaps, at the moment, with the influx of new users, the project doesn't want to make it too easy :-)

PS The SecutiyNow podcast piqued my interest again in this project (enough to actually install it this time) due to the computing power being used for SARS-CoV-2 virus research.
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Post by BobWilliams757 »

DaveQB wrote:WOW. What a fantastic response from the community. I will follow up on those links to help me to get going.

Is there a way that on the /start-folding/ page that this kind of information can be provided? Right now, it is just a download page, which can be all you need if the software holds your hand once installed, but for this project, there's 3 option to install and the client, for me, didn't make explicit how to attain a username etc.

Just my feedback for help make the on-boarding process for new users more seamless. But perhaps, at the moment, with the influx of new users, the project doesn't want to make it too easy :-)

PS The SecutiyNow podcast piqued my interest again in this project (enough to actually install it this time) due to the computing power being used for SARS-CoV-2 virus research.
Though I'm recently "new" to folding again, I think that history shows it was more frequented by computer enthusiasts of sorts. As such they were more often familiar with and willing to dig into more complex software, hardware tweaks, etc, and the type to just figure it out on their own.

But I've mentioned folding to people that have their eyes glaze over, and the mere thought of it being more intensive than installing an app on their phone is a anxiety raising experience.

But overall, I'd agree that if folding interest keeps up, a more complete and user friendly method of getting new contributors the info would be a good idea.
Fold them if you get them!
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

DaveQB wrote:...Just my feedback for help make the on-boarding process for new users more seamless. But perhaps, at the moment, with the influx of new users, the project doesn't want to make it too easy :-)...
We do need more donors and we are looking at ways to improve the experience. While things have come a long way, there is still room to grow for us and we do like getting constructive feedback :)
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
DaveQB

Post by DaveQB »

BobWilliams757 wrote:
Though I'm recently "new" to folding again, I think that history shows it was more frequented by computer enthusiasts of sorts. As such they were more often familiar with and willing to dig into more complex software, hardware tweaks, etc, and the type to just figure it out on their own.
Yes, I understand that. And I certainly consider myself a computer enthusiasts, being a Linux Sys Admin for 15 years and tinkering with computers and software for 20 years. I am sure I could have dug and dug, but my level of enthusiasm to get involved was not at a level to dedicate that much time to joining this project, I am sorry to say. And so I thought my experience would be good to report back, as I am sure others, who aren't computer enthusiasts, would have an equally, or tougher time than I did.
BobWilliams757 wrote: But I've mentioned folding to people that have their eyes glaze over, and the mere thought of it being more intensive than installing an app on their phone is a anxiety raising experience.
Understand. I have been hearing of the project for as long as I remember. As well as SETI@home and other distributed computing projects. But this knowledge didn't help level out the bumpy start :-)
BobWilliams757 wrote: But overall, I'd agree that if folding interest keeps up, a more complete and user friendly method of getting new contributors the info would be a good idea.
I think it is very close, from my bias perspective. I think a little more detail on the /start-folding/ page (sorry, I am not allowed to post URLs) would do the trick (this is the page you keep ending up on from online searches on how to start and navigating the home page). It is easy to not realise these oversights for people involved "can't see the forest for the trees". So I thought my naive perspective could be helpful.

All that needs to be added is:

- Which packages are for what purposes
- The path of least resistance (download and install client package)
- What to do with the username question you'll face during install
- The URL to hit to see and control your client in action

That would be all you would need for a quick start, I think.