Linux help - Ubuntu64 onto a Mac, using 32bit EFI...

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

AndrewBienhaus

Re: Linux help - Ubuntu64 onto a Mac, using 32bit EFI...

Post by AndrewBienhaus »

I'll start a new thread.
The reason of course is that I've setup some Ubuntu headless servers, to do some work. We went to efforts to enable GPU where they had a decent and recognized one... but under Linux, you lose a CPU thread to have GPU enabled... so... ;)
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Linux help - Ubuntu64 onto a Mac, using 32bit EFI...

Post by Joe_H »

Yes, GPUs.txt is more of a "greylist" as it includes both whitelisted and blacklisted GPUs. Some more information on the file is posted in this topic - viewtopic.php?f=83&t=26208.

There is a link to information about the format, but that points to an old location on folding.stanford.edu that no longer exists.

Basically the first two fields are the vendor and device ID for the GPU, the 3rd field is for AMD or nVIdia, and the 4th field is what we call "GPU species", basically what the hardware supports. If the entries in the 3rd or 4th fields are blank or zero, then the card is on the blacklist.

There are a number of cards still on the whitelist that can not be used, basically ones that support only SP calculations. Those projects ended last year.

As for the OpenCL 1.1 listed nVidia cards from the Fermi series, that is a bit of edge case. Each has some slightly different missing support for OpenCL 1.2, so aren't considered meeting that requirement. So one card will work on some projects, and not others. And it is model dependent, some were released in several hardware variants with the same model number from nVidia or other manufacturer.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3