Mac 10.14.6 need to start FAHClient manually

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Hopbackguy

Re: Mac 10.14.6 need to start FAHClient manually

Post by Hopbackguy »

Joe_H wrote:The directory /usr/local/bin is generally reserved for installs of additional software outside the standard items from the OS and those installed by Apple. There are standard policies for using it, Wireshark violated those by creating the directory only for its own usage.

This probably only became an issue with the install of the F@h client. Current security requirements, not sure which version of the OS they start with, keeps the launchd process from starting up background processes like FAHClient from a directory not owned by the system. In addition, the script supplied to have launchd start up that background process runs it under a restricted user account 'nobody' that has minimal privileges. So that user needs execute and lookup access to the directory and the FAHClient executable under the 'o' or other access permissions.
Very clear explanation, thank you. It started working fine in the background as so0on as I changed those permissions. All systems go. Many thanks.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Good to hear. I have been dusting off old skills from my days doing computer support on a variety of OS's including Linux and BSD based Unix OS's. I personally do not have any systems running on Mojave or Catalina, so sometimes need to ask questions of the developer who can guide through the differences,

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Hopbackguy

Post by Hopbackguy »

I used to support IBM AIX and later Linux systems about 20 years ago but even though I can remember the basics, I'm very rusty on problem solving on the OS level!