GPU Throttling, CPU vs GPU donation

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

LinuxNorth

GPU Throttling, CPU vs GPU donation

Post by LinuxNorth »

Hi,

Completely new here (on linux), but got one WU done on CPU and another started on GPU (GeForce GTX 1050). Several questions:

* Throttling. I was all excited about GPU versus CPU until I started one (GPU) and saw the temps shoot way up with 100% utilization. Is there a way to throttle the GPU workload to 25 or 50%? The FOLDING POWER slider does not seem to have that function.

* If GPU throttling is not possible, is donating time for CPU work still useful? Are there work units that really can ONLY be done one CPU? If yes, going that much slower route (for heat reasons) might still be appetizing.
uyaem

Re: GPU Throttling, CPU vs GPU donation

Post by uyaem »

By design of how GPUs work, it's not really possible to throttle them in the same way as CPUs.

For the other questions:
- There are tools available where you can limit the clock speed of the GPU, this might be an option.
- CPU folding is definitely still useful, because CPU projects don't work on the GPU and vice versa. And as you can see on https://apps.foldingathome.org/psummary, there's plenty of work for both types :)
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X (1x21 CPUs) ~ GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super (Asus)
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum LinuxNorth,

Please note that GPU throttling isn't supported since that is a feature not implemented by the vendors yet. Thus, there's nothing that the client can do about it.

You can set the GPU slot to Finish and once the WU has folded, you can remove the GPU slot. The CPU slot can continue to fold as it also does valuable science.

If you would like, you can post your log file here so we can see if there's anything else in the configuration that you may tweak: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=26036
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
LinuxNorth

Post by LinuxNorth »

Thank you for those useful answers!
I use my laptop constantly for work, so I'll continue with the cooler CPU donation. It seems to be using 4 of 12 threads, which is rather convenient.

2 suggestions for the project (if anyone is reading this):
- It look me quite a while in linux to figure out that I needed to start FAHCore at the command line and how to do it. A more clear linux FAQ might help.
- The deb installations spill FAH folders all over the user's Home Folder. Maybe I did something wrong, but having everything in one FAH folder would be much better. I'll try to reinstall in a new folder or maybe make another user just for FAH.

Thank you for your efforts and answers!
Tohya

Post by Tohya »

You can 'throtte' your GPU by lowering the power limit or clocks.
LinuxNorth

Post by LinuxNorth »

Sorry, another silly question

-Does the viewer show real data when connected to a WU? Are they real molecules from the work unit? Real gyrations? Or is it like the SETI days (probably meaningless eye candy)?

Comment - I was correct. Folders get put all over the place in linux. I found making a new user just for folding to be a better option.
Tohya

Post by Tohya »

The viewer shows the current work unit, the GPU work units have a bug in core_22 that causes some of them to show a pink cube.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

If the FAHViewer, in the bottom left corner, it will say either "Live" or "Demo" for the Protein field. If it's Demo, then it s a generic one. If it is a Live one, that's actually the data that the WU is generating and you can see it via the "snapshots number which increases as the WU progresses.

BTW, the F@H Team is aware of the documentation state and there are plans to up-date it.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues