Different viewer render modes

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Dorraj

Different viewer render modes

Post by Dorraj »

So I was curious about the FAH viewer, I can see there are 8 render modes, all different types of the main 3 (space filling, ball and stick, and stick). However when I choose any of the different ones, like "Advanced" or "cartoon", they look exactly the same as the normal ones. I see that the advanced ones say they require Open GL 2.2, but I'm not exactly sure if there's some sort of prerequisite or something else to allow my use of these different types of viewers.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: Different viewer render modes

Post by foldy »

Yes some render modes seem redundant.
Dorraj

Post by Dorraj »

So there's not supposed to be a difference?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Yes, well at least there was a visible difference between the modes if the protein being shown was small enough for the details to show. All of the recent WUs that I tested FAHViewer on with my system had to many atoms in the field, small details that I could not tell the differnnce between the basic and advanced modes.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Dorraj

Post by Dorraj »

Interesting. So because they have too many points being shown with the specific WU, it doesn't show the extra detail? I know the GPU WUs look absolutely ridiculous, just giant purple cubes that run very slow, you can't even see any folding going on cause it's such a mess, but I figured the CPU WUs were spaced out enough. So it's pretty much an outdated setting, basically. Good to know.