FAH doesn't start with windows

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

matt.noteboom

FAH doesn't start with windows

Post by matt.noteboom »

This might have been asked, but I'm really struggling to use the search function on this forum.

I'm running FAH (recently updated to 7.6.9) on a windows 10 PC and it never starts with windows. If I restart for something, I have to look for FAHClient and FAHControl and run them myself to see what's going on, and it never returns to the system tray.
bruce

Re: FAH doesn't start with windows

Post by bruce »

This is a choice that can be made at install time. While it's possible to modify your installation I would have to ask a number of questions and then give you several steps that you'd have to follow, but the simplest way to fix it is to reinstall. While logged on as your nomal user, (not administrator or root) you can go to the website and download a fresh copy (which may or may not be a newer version). If it's windows, iit will ask you for permission to install the software in the program_files directory.
BP2020

Post by BP2020 »

I had a similar issue insofar as the shortcut wasn't created after the install using my regular account under Windows 10 and I needed to search for the .exe to start them etc. I guess your mileage may vary but installing as a normal user didn't work for me. What I ended up doing was logging in with my Administrator account, installing, then taking the shortcut which was created and copying it to the desktop of my regular account i.e. C:\Users\myuser\Desktop. See what I went through here (viewtopic.php?f=61&t=34573). I guess after that you could technically put that shortcut in C:\Users\Myuser\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup. I haven't tried this though since I don't restart that often... I'm sure there are other ways. This is more of a DIY kind of way. I wish I didn't have to do any of this. Good luck!
Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz @ 98%, 4 cores
Asus ROG STRIX RX480 8Gb
matt.noteboom

Post by matt.noteboom »

Thanks folks. A variation on BP2020's solution worked - seems there is an issue with locating that shortcut when installing from a non-administrator account. My admin account starts FAH on login, and has a shortcut on the desktop, but those things were never generated for the day-to-day account. Copying the shortcut from admin to day-to-day profile seems to work.
jrweiss
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; 32GB G-Skill Trident DDR4-3200; Samsung 860EVO 1TB Boot SSD; VelociRaptor 1TB; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver; BeQuiet FM 550 PSU; Lian Li PC-9F; Win11Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

[Suspended] Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI X570MPG, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600; Corsair MP600 M.2 PCIe Gen4 Boot, Samsung 840EVO-250 SSDs; VelociRaptor 1TB, Raptor 150; MSI GTX 1050ti, 526.98 driver; Kingwin Stryker 500 PSU; Lian Li PC-K7B. Win10Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

Post by jrweiss »

It's actually easy to get F@H or any app to start up with Windows. Copy and paste the F@H shortcut to the C:\Users\[username]\StartMenu\Programs\Startup folder. If you want it to start with any user, put it in the C:\Users\All Users\StartMenu\Programs\Startup folder.
Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver
Ryzen 7 3700X; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver [Suspended]