resource use level rules

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

seidwolf

resource use level rules

Post by seidwolf »

No problems running on my config across CPU and GPUs, merely a config question. Is there any way to set usage/performance rules to maximize efficiency and available cycles? Examples:

Scavenge cycles conditional on user activity
- If Active run in background in X mode; if Idle run in Y mode

Scavenge cycles conditional on resource activity
- if CPU or GPU utilization is < 50%, run at X mode

Protective resource environmental conditions
- If CPU temp threshold > N1 then throttle down to "Light" OR is > N2 then suspend until < N3
- If GPU temp threshold > N4 then throttle down to "Light" OR is > N5 then suspend until < N6

Note: I'm not a programmer or scripter by trade (former enterprise architect) so the appropriate command lines or scripts would need to be supplied if above is possible, or hope its included in next release.

Many thanks in advance!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: resource use level rules

Post by Joe_H »

Within the client, this is not possible. Using scripts that communicate with the client, yes most of this can be done.

To prefix this, the FAHClient can be connected to over port 36330 on the local IP 127.0.0.1 using the telnet protocol. It can be done directly, by telnet'ing in, you get a command prompt. Or commands can be sent from a script that way. Or the FAHClient executable can be used by running 'FAHClient --send (some command)'. Again that be be part of a script. For programmers there is an API - https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-co ... Client-API - that can be used as well.

So over the years a number of persons have posted various scripts here and elsewhere to do various functions with the client. They can be adapted to specific circumstances. Some changes to the client settings may not take effect right away. For example if a CPU folding slot downloads a WU set for 4 CPU threads, it can be reduced to a lower number but not to a higher one. A setting for more CPU threads will take effect on the next WU.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
HB9EVT

Post by HB9EVT »

seidwolf wrote:- If Active run in background in X mode; if Idle run in Y mode
That would be a nice feature.
I'm using often "Power"="full" ... "Only When Idle".
But I would prefer: full Power when idle and otherwise light power (instead of paused).

The client already today dedects when the machine is idle. So this feature would be technical possible.

Pepe
Pepe
Swiss Radio Scout -- Be prepared and stay on air! -- HB9EVT
bruce

Post by bruce »

The three slider choices were a first-pass at a complex issue and then never revised. You're suggestions are not at all unreasonable but finding recommendations that suit every hardware combination is probably a challenge for AI (and we don't do AI). You can set any combination that you want if you use FAHControl, including a few that wouldn't be recommended by an old-timer like myself.