Legal Characters in a team name

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

JoeHz

Legal Characters in a team name

Post by JoeHz »

Just started a team recently and one of our members noticed an interesting artifact of our team number. Specifically that our team number happened to correspond to a cute mathematical formula.

But if I want to add it to our team name, say (making up such an example that isn't our actual team number) 2¹⁸+1, when I try it I get this error.

Incorrect string value: '\xE2\x81\xB8' for column ``.``.`_name` at row 1

Any chance Unicode strings could be supported here?
cfhdev

Re: Legal Characters in a team name

Post by cfhdev »

I also want to comment that the @ sign can be used in a team name but when used as a donor name is ignored and all characters after are also ignored.
Rel25917

Post by Rel25917 »

@ is not ignored in a doner name, it is hidden so one could use an email address without the @domain.com being shown.
JoeHz

Post by JoeHz »

And if I add it "old school" to the end of the team name, (2^80-2^2 or something), it accepts it but doesn't appears to actually save the new characters
cfhdev

Post by cfhdev »

Rel25917 wrote:@ is not ignored in a doner name, it is hidden so one could use an email address without the @domain.com being shown.
I have tried it with several names and the point get added to the name without the @xxxxx and don't show up as unique.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

The part to the right of an @ character does not shown in any search by username, so johnsmith@something.com will show the the same as johnsmith.

As for team names, stick to alphanumeric and the only character that is recommended is the underscore "_". Some other punctuation characters will usually go through okay, but occasionally cause issues. Avoid characters from the extended character sets such as ones with diacritics.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Rel25917

Post by Rel25917 »

Search the stats with the whole name@whatever and it should show just those results. Just searching for name and they get lumped together.