Is it possible to "transfer" a WU from 1 GPU to another?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

lewreview

Is it possible to "transfer" a WU from 1 GPU to another?

Post by lewreview »

I've been folding for about a month or so - no problems except the occasional lack of WU's.
My question: I have a workstation with 3 GPUs. One of which is a "baby" Quadro P400. It occasionally gets a WU that it cannot complete before the timeout, (typically now 1 day for many WUs). So, it gets only base points, and takes forever to finish. The other 2 GPUs (P1000 and P2200) could chew thru that little project in no time, freeing up the P400 for other smaller tasks.
Is there any way to "transfer" that WU from the P400 to one of the other GPUs when they free up? Have tried pausing to create checkpoints, shutting everything down, then restarting only the P2200. No joy.
Hate to slow down and cause duplicate WU assignment.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Is it possible to "transfer" a WU from 1 GPU to another?

Post by Joe_H »

If the GPUs are similar enough, pausing after finishing work in at least one of the other GPU folding slots, and deleting the folding slot for the P400 will cause it to be moved to an open slot. If not similar enough the WU will be dumped instead.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3