Browsers closing then reopening

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Pruittma

Browsers closing then reopening

Post by Pruittma »

I first signed up a couple months ago. I waited almost a week for credentials, and receiving none, uninstalled the Folding at Home software.
Since then, whenever I open a browser window (in ANY browser I have - Chrome, Firefox or Edge), the window closes within about five seconds, then reopens. Often I get a message that my last browser session could not be restored.
This never hapopened until I installed and uninstalled Folding@Home.

Does anyone have any idea what the software did to my system to cause this behavior? I'd like to make this stop.

Thanks!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Browsers closing then reopening

Post by Joe_H »

This is nothing I have ever seen reported in connection with installing or removing the F@h software. The only connection the F@h has with any client is a provided URL that connects the browser to the F@h client and displays information using javascript.

Which OS, and did you use the provided Uninstaller?

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Pruittma

Post by Pruittma »

I'm using Windows 10 Home, build 18362.836

I think I used the uninstaller that came with the software, but to be honest I'm not sure.

The interesting thing is that I use Chrome almost exclusively (Firefox rarely, and Edge never). But they all three exhibit the same odd behavior. I don't what that means, but it must mean something.
NRT_AntiKytherA

Post by NRT_AntiKytherA »

Have you tried reinstalling Chrome or Firefox? Anyhow for chrome you could reset and clean up but export your bookmarks first using bookmark manager just in case they get removed too.

chrome://settings/reset

Speaking of backups, did you not take a backup of your PC before installing F@H?