Too short deadlines

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Re: Too short deadlines

Postby Neil-B » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:28 am

Whether for FaH or just normal use it may be worth cleaning you laptops cooling vents/system if you haven't already ... In the normal course of usage laptops can very quickly (within weeks) clog up with dust/detritus and the nature of the design of laptops is they suffer heat issues anyway without impeded cooling vents ... There are also a number of laptop cooling devices on the market that may help.
1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.13
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.13
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro, GTX 750Ti 2GB, FAH 7.6.13
Neil-B
 
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:52 pm
Location: UK

Re: Too short deadlines

Postby ajm » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:38 am

Maybe you could have a look at the performance/power plans of your laptop? All modern CPUs come standard with some boost function enabled that makes them run faster and hotter. Disable it will cool them down and wear them less, without any performance penalty but for very intensive tasks (such as gaming, rendering, and the like). In summer, I would even recommend to disable it in the bios. I don't know for laptops, but on desktops, the difference can easily reach some 20°C.
ajm
 
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:22 am
Location: Lucerne, Switzerland

Re: Too short deadlines

Postby jsantix » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:20 pm

ajm wrote:Maybe you could have a look at the performance/power plans of your laptop? All modern CPUs come standard with some boost function enabled that makes them run faster and hotter. Disable it will cool them down and wear them less, without any performance penalty but for very intensive tasks (such as gaming, rendering, and the like). In summer, I would even recommend to disable it in the bios. I don't know for laptops, but on desktops, the difference can easily reach some 20°C.

Not a bad idea, I'll check it, thanks!
jsantix
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:40 am

Re: Too short deadlines

Postby Joe_H » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:52 pm

jsantix wrote:Better than logs, take a look at this screenshot:


Actually, No. A screenshot just gives a snapshot of the current reporting. If the client has not been running long enough on a WU after either a restart or from the beginning, the ETA listed can be wildly off. The actual log with times that a each percentage is completed gives information that can be used with other tools to accurately determine how long a WU will take. About the only useful info not obtainable from the log was the exact times for the timeout and the deadline.

The screenshot also gives use no information about the settings, hardware or client settings.

jsantix wrote:So unless I manage to complete my WUs in less than 8 hours, my contribution is just slowing down the project, which is very disapointing...


Not slowing down the project by much if at all. We get "power users" who overstate that quite often, examples here in this topic. The researchers do use some of the duplicate returns for double checking that things are going correctly.

jsantix wrote:If they could just increase the timeout to 2 days instead of only 1...


There are projects with 1 week deadlines that do have a longer timeout than 1 day. The 1 day timeouts were assigned for early COVID CPU projects, some may be modified.
Image

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6451
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:41 pm
Location: W. MA

Re: Too short deadlines

Postby bruce » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:42 pm

Unfortunately it's not quite as simple as adding a day. The bonus calculation changes so the project would need to be re-benchmarked.
bruce
 
Posts: 19697
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: So. Cal.

Re: Too short deadlines

Postby Jonazz » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:54 pm

Joe_H wrote:
jsantix wrote:So unless I manage to complete my WUs in less than 8 hours, my contribution is just slowing down the project, which is very disapointing...


Not slowing down the project by much if at all. We get "power users" who overstate that quite often, examples here in this topic. The researchers do use some of the duplicate returns for double checking that things are going correctly.


That's good to know! So could we say that you are contributing as long as you return a WU before the expiration date?
Jonazz
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Too short deadlines

Postby Joe_H » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:01 pm

Jonazz wrote:That's good to know! So could we say that you are contributing as long as you return a WU before the expiration date?

Yes, not as much, but still contributing.
Joe_H
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6451
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:41 pm
Location: W. MA

Re: Too short deadlines

Postby Jonazz » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:41 pm

Thanks for he clarification!
Jonazz
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Too short deadlines

Postby uyaem » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:15 am

Joe_H wrote:
jsantix wrote:So unless I manage to complete my WUs in less than 8 hours, my contribution is just slowing down the project, which is very disapointing...


Not slowing down the project by much if at all. We get "power users" who overstate that quite often, examples here in this topic. The researchers do use some of the duplicate returns for double checking that things are going correctly.

And to add on that:
As long as the more powerful computers are not sitting idle waiting for more work (and I promise you they are not) you are still very much contributing!
And in 14 weeks of folding, I have not seen my CPU idle, ever.
Image
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X (1x21 CPUs) ~ GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super (Asus)
uyaem
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:35 pm
Location: Esslingen, Germany

Previous

Return to New Donors start here

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron