Today GPU classified as beta

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Maddog

Today GPU classified as beta

Post by Maddog »

Today i have been having a problem with the internet connection. The last GPU WU was however uploaded successfuly, but no new work was downloaded. The GPU slot was marked as disabled.
After deleting FAH Control and updating it and the client to version 21 there was no change. checking the log I found the line " Warning disabling beta GPU slot" .
The GPU, a gtx960M has been folding for several months now without a problem. Has something been changed in the last few hours?
bruce

Re: Today GPU classified as beta

Post by bruce »

Please display the first 200 or so lines at the very beginning of FAH"s log, including all of config.xml. (See below)
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Please note that while we wait for the log files, I just wanted to assure you that GTX 960M (a mobile GPU) is still supported for folding and can fold using OpenCL/CUDA. My gut feel is that you have an Intel iGPU which is currently being worked upon (no ETA or guarantee to be released) hence you encountered that issue.

Once you have posted your log file, we can help you resolve that and get back to folding :)
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Some background while we wait for a useful log file. The developers, rather than set up a test server to do work on a potential Intel GPU client, instead have been doing their development in Production. This effects every volunteer with a Intel iGPU, even though it is unlikely that any of us will ever be able to fold on an existing Intel iGPU. I am sure this makes some sense to the developers. Who needs volunteers anyway?

In any case, with some serious study of your log file, these guys can give you work arounds.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Maddog

Post by Maddog »

First, thanks for the replies,they confirm some of my suspicions. I bo not have the original logs anymore because one of the things I tried was a complete deinstallation including all data.
You are correct about the Intel GPU, this is a laptop with I7 cpu and discrete Nvidia GPU. My suspicion is, something was changed yesterday at the server end which caused the problem. possibly a new gpu text.

After hours of fiddling around it is finally folding again.

To help anyone else that has this problem:

I am on Linux but may also be useful for windows
Complete reinstallation resulted in the same result, GPU disabled as Beta (no identification for the GPU,just slot number)

Have read somewhere on the forums about the problems with Intel iGPU and created a second GPU slot.

What I think did the trick was reinstalling the graphic drivers. Actually installed one version earlier but still 400 series (otherwise Cuda does not work). Now both gpu's show up in FAH control with complete description.

(haven't worked out how to include screenshot but it looks something like this)

02 Disabled gpu:0:2 Gen9/GT2 [HD Graphics 530] 365
03 Running gpu:1:0 GM107 [Geforce GTX 960M] 1439
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Please note that the Forum doesn't allow hosting of pictures due to few reasons. However, you can use free image hosting services (https://www.techradar.com/nz/best/best- ... g-websites) and then post the link here to share :)
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
bruce

Post by bruce »

I mus reiterate: The Intel iGP is NOT supported (yet) and we cannot predict what will happen if you attempt to use it. You might start by disabling it.

How many CPU threads are idle? You must leave at least one thread per GPU to be free to support the FAHCore on each GPU. To do otherwise is to intentionally reduce GPU trhoughput by more than you can gain by using that thread for other purposes.