Timed-out units

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Folding4Fun

Timed-out units

Post by Folding4Fun »

Hi, I noticed most or almost all of my units time out before finishing, even though they're sent before the deadline so I still keep getting credit.

How useful, percentage-wise, is a timed-out unit compared to a normal one? I mean, how often the data from it is actually used? I wonder if it's like 1%, or like 20%? Is it possible to guess? Let's say I need a few days after the timeout.
JimboPalmer

Re: Timed-out units

Post by JimboPalmer »

[I am just a user like you, so this is not official]

Welcome to Folding@Home!

If you exceed the time out, another user will be assigned the same Work Unit. So you are wasting his/her time.

The next generation of WUs can't be generated until all the current WUs, are returned, so exceeding the Time Out slows the science.

It is possible this PC, or your usage of it, is too slow to be of help. Sorry.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Folding4Fun

Post by Folding4Fun »

Hi, thanks...

So hypothetically, the only use for it would be if the user after me didn't return the unit before me, and then my data could be used, so in that scenario, 50% as useful (multiplied by the probability of the other user finishing after me).
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Post by Neil-B »

I'll take a different view from some expressed so far .. Your data can also have other uses even if it arrives 2nd .. if it arrives before the expiration it has potential use .. hence the existence of an expiration deadline !! .. if FaH felt there was no value in folding after timeout then there would not be a difference between timeout and expiration .. if there are more WUs than resources the timeout wu may well not be reissued straight away and so still real chance the original folder will return first .. if your kit cant meet expiration deadlines then dont fold but otherwise fold on :)
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
Folding4Fun

Post by Folding4Fun »

You're right... so if there is a queue, it increases the probability that my result will be sent back before the other person's will, making it more likely that I'll achieve 50% contribution. :egeek: It's even possible it will be sent back before the other person receives it, making my contribution 100%.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Folding4Fun wrote:You're right... so if there is a queue, it increases the probability that my result will be sent back before the other person's will, making it more likely that I'll achieve 50% contribution.
Generally, FAH only sends work to one person in expectation that they will finish it, though sometimes it gets lost or dumped. If it's not returned promptely, at some point they have to assume it's lost and issue a duplicate assignment to someone else. That's the purpose of the timeout.

After the timeout, either of you (or both of you) may complete the WU. Gen (N+1) is built from the first result to be completed and this allows the project to proceed.

Points are awarded to each of you independently based on how much time elapses between when it was assigned to you and when your results arrive back at the server.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Neil-B wrote:Your data can also have other uses even if it arrives 2nd .. if it arrives before the expiration it has potential use .. hence the existence of an expiration deadline !! .. if FaH felt there was no value in folding after timeout then there would not be a difference between timeout and expiration .. if there are more WUs than resources the timeout wu may well not be reissued straight away and so still real chance the original folder will return first .. if your kit cant meet expiration deadlines then dont fold but otherwise fold on :)
When your WU passes the deadline, I suspect that the only scientific value achieved is if it shortens the elapsed time for the generation of Gen (N+1). I suspect that the second result to arrive is discarded ... even though points are awarded to the Donor. Nobody can predict when the 2nd (or 3rd) result will arrive and you'll still get the same credit you expected when you were assigned the WU, whether it the 1st or 2nd. There's no 50% discount.