i have a problem with folding at home and my RTX 3090.

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

PoyzionTV

Post by PoyzionTV »

Hi folks,

As soon as i start a workload it shows me that the load of gpu is 100% but the clock of the gpu stays on 450mHZ no matter how long it runs :(
Is that normal? Because it seems its only using 2D Mode and doesn‘t switch to 3D mode so the folding is very very slow in my opinion. 3D clock normally is arround 2100-2150MHz (i know it‘s way over factory settings because i overclocked the card, did a power / shunt Mod to it and flashed a bios with a powerlimit of 1000W :) but in my opinion this isn‘t the problem.

Did anyone out there had the same or similar problem and found a solution or can provide me a solution without experiencing the same problem.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Re: GeForce RTX 3080 and 3090 support enabled !

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum PoyzionTV,

Please note that folding proteins can be more intensive on the GPU than most benchmarks/games that you may use to test and stabilize your overclock. Reason is that games use the rendering aspect of the GPU while folding use the compute aspect of the GPU. Thus, if there's a way to test it Nvidia stock settings (that's lower than the factory overclock), that would be a good starting point. In most cases, the overclocked GPU was unstable for folding but stable for benchmarking/gaming.

Can you please post the log file? Ensure you include the first 100 lines which will inform us of what the system configuration is and what the client settings are. If you require guidance, please view this topic: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
JimboPalmer

Re: GeForce RTX 3080 and 3090 support enabled !

Post by JimboPalmer »

PoyzionTV,

Welcome to Folding@Home!

I recommend that you start a new thread with a title that says you need help, rather that add to this 6 page long thread about the introduction of the 3080 and 3090 perhaps something like:

RTX 3090 folds but low PPD, owner overclocked, now what?

That will give folks hints what expertise they need to bring to aid you back to stock performance.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Re: i have a problem with folding at home and my RTX 3090.

Post by bruce »

Original topic split by Mod per JimboPalmer's suggestion above. Proceed to offer other suggestions.

Also awaiting OPs response to PantherX's request for a log file.
MeeLee

Re: i have a problem with folding at home and my RTX 3090.

Post by MeeLee »

Windows or Linux?
Does it do the same for 3D games?
With all the mods you did, could you have messed something up?
You really don't need any of the shunt mods for FAH. As the GPU will most likely run at max frequency when the power slider is set to max.
Any more overclocking, and the performance isn't guaranteed anymore. It may crash.
Usually (on RTX2000 series GPUs) the default 'limp mode' is like ~1350Mhz.
It looks like your GPU is not seeing it has any load going on...