Computer Cannot Sleep — Even When I Pause Folding

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

AirbusFan4444

Computer Cannot Sleep — Even When I Pause Folding

Post by AirbusFan4444 »

Hello,

I am folding on my CPU. I am trying to put my computer to standby/sleep mode, however, even after I press the "Stop Folding" button and the status is "Paused", my computer cannot go to standby, all it does is make the screen blank. How can I resolve this issue? Thanks for all your help.
Stay safe and healthy!
gunnarre

Re: Computer Cannot Sleep — Even When I Pause Folding

Post by gunnarre »

I assume you're folding with Windows? Which type of installation did you choose? To support Windows GPU permissions, the normal way to install on Windows will start Folding@Home as a program that starts when you log in and I think that blocks hibernation/sleep from occuring. The reason for that is that a GPU work unit can't resume from sleep/hibernation.

As you're only CPU folding, you might try to wipe and re-install Folding@Home as a system service instead. That will not allow GPU folding, but it might perhaps allow hibernation?

PS: Note that Folding@Home folding is time sensitive. Unlike some projects which divide a big problem up into a large number of chunks that can be solved individually, Folding@Home is a relay race where the next folder is waiting for work based on the previous folder's efforts. So if you're going to leave the computer off for days at a time, you should find some other distributed computing project to work on. If you're just shutting off over night, but use your computer every day, your machine can still be useful for Folding@Home. Check if you return your work units before "Timeout" and "Expiry". Ideally you should return most of your work units before "Timeout" because that means less wasted computing power.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
bruce

Post by bruce »

gunnarre wrote:I assume you're folding with Windows? Which type of installation did you choose? To support Windows GPU permissions, the normal way to install on Windows will start Folding@Home as a program that starts when you log in and I think that blocks hibernation/sleep from occuring. The reason for that is that a GPU work unit can't resume from sleep/hibernation.
This is a useful option to investigate. I have successfully installed FAHClient as a Windows service (on a machine that didn't have a supported GPU) and was able to resume from sleep/hibernation ... though it was a much older version of FAHClient. The do-not-allow-sleep option was added specifically to avoid crashing a WU that folds on the GPU and there is a way to disable that choice, though I don't remember how to do it. (Yes, that's grammatically a double negative.)
Gennady

Post by Gennady »

It looks like the FAH client is turning off the power standby feature.
C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -lastwake

wait one minute, then take a look at the journal: C:\Windows\system32\energy-report.html

It looks like the developers have incorrectly set the flags for the SetThreadExecutionState API.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... utionstate
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

Same here, when my WU finished my pc stays on. A few months ago this didn't happen.
AirbusFan4444

Post by AirbusFan4444 »

gunnarre wrote:I assume you're folding with Windows? Which type of installation did you choose? To support Windows GPU permissions, the normal way to install on Windows will start Folding@Home as a program that starts when you log in and I think that blocks hibernation/sleep from occuring. The reason for that is that a GPU work unit can't resume from sleep/hibernation.

As you're only CPU folding, you might try to wipe and re-install Folding@Home as a system service instead. That will not allow GPU folding, but it might perhaps allow hibernation?
Thanks for your reply, installing it as a system service still does not allow hibernation for me.
Stay safe and healthy!
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

In FAHControl, you might want to add client option
disable-sleep-when-active
false