Coronavirus Folding Fail

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

JerseyJoe74

Coronavirus Folding Fail

Post by JerseyJoe74 »

I've been folding now for a few months and I've had the WU set to random and haven't noticed any problems. Last month my cousin passed away from coronavirus to I set the selection fold only that (on 2 machines, that's 2 cpu's and 1 gpu). All three gave me a fail when they tried starting a WU. I set them back to random and everything worked fine. A couple of weeks ago my gpu received a coronavirus WU and failed. After it downloaded a new, non-coronavirus WU it started folding normally again. Anyone else had this problem or know of it happening?

Laptop has an AMD A6-3400M processor. Desktop has a AMD a8-5600K and a Radeon R9-270X gpu
bruce

Re: Coronavirus Folding Fail

Post by bruce »

JerseyJoe74 wrote:Last month my cousin passed away from coronavirus to I set the selection fold only that (on 2 machines, that's 2 cpu's and 1 gpu).
There is no selection to fold only one thing. It's a preference which will be applied when possible. You will get other things.
All three gave me a fail when they tried starting a WU. I set them back to random and everything worked fine. A couple of weeks ago my gpu received a coronavirus WU and failed. After it downloaded a new, non-coronavirus WU it started folding normally again.

Laptop has an AMD A6-3400M processor. Desktop has a AMD a8-5600K and a Radeon R9-270X gpu
Without more information, any diagnosis would be strictly a guess. What error message(s) did you see. Post whatever selections of FAH's log are applicable. (see below)

Did Windows_Update remove OpenCL? Did you relocate any of FAH's files?
JimboPalmer

Re: Coronavirus Folding Fail

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!

bruce's post ends with a link showing how to tell us enough to give you help.

The log describes what the software thought happened,

The first 200 lines tell us how the PC is setup, and offers hints what choices were made.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends