Gpu vs Cpu

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ullaen

Gpu vs Cpu

Post by ullaen »

my computer has much more power in the gpu than in the cpu. Is it possible to choose a project that uses as much gpu as possible??

-GPU: 11741 to 11764
-CPU: 14328–14329–14530–14531

what project is this 11741 to 11764 ??
JimboPalmer

Re: Gpu vs Cpu

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!

The researchers choose which GPUs (and CPUs) their project runs on. Some combinations produce bad or just slow results.

You are only given WUs that the researchers believe will work well. (They .are not always right)

You are discouraged from just running the 'low hanging fruit' projects you want.

There is a file on the servers called GPUs.txt (a copy is on your PC, but the server is the master) it lists the vendor and species (capabilities) of your card.

Very occasionally, a vendor will list multiple cards with the same name, so your GT 710 may not have the same capabilities as some one else's GT 710. This is rare.
Last edited by JimboPalmer on Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

Yes. When FAH is installed, it will create one slot for CPU folding and one slot for each GPU that can fold. You can enable or disable each of them. The GPU cannot be moderated. It will either fold a maximum or it will be disabled. Depending on the characteristics of your CPU, you have some ability to moderate the CPU processing.
ullaen

Post by ullaen »

Okey, maybe you can come up with a proposal if I tell you my specs.
Intel I7-4790k and nvidia 1080TI

There is a file on the servers called GPUs.txt (a copy is on your PC, but the server is the master) it lists the vendor and species (capabilities) of your card.........where is this on my computer??
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

ullaen wrote:There is a file on the servers called GPUs.txt (a copy is on your PC, but the server is the master) it lists the vendor and species (capabilities) of your card.........where is this on my computer??
I am not sure what OS you are running, (if you posted the first 200 lines of your log, we would know more about your PCs configuration.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036

I run Windows 10, but I updated from earlier versions so it may not be in the same place on your PC.
C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient\GPUs.txt

As I understand it, it gets updated once a month. Mine is dated April 13, 2021

0x10de:0x1b06:2:8:GP102 [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti] 11380

So vendor = 2 Species = 8
AMD is vendor 1, Nvidia is vendor 2

Species 8 is the most capable Species for Nvidia. (AMD species are not related)

(My RTX 3060 is 2:8, but my GTX 1650 and GTX 1060 are 2:7, so they may get smaller, less complicated proteins)

GP102 the P stands for the Pascal micro architecture, chip 102 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal_(m ... ure)#Chips
Several cards all used the GP102 chip ( TITAN Xp, Titan X, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, Quadro P6000 & Tesla P40)

The vast majority of CPUs are Intel compatible chips with 2 to 128 threads, so basically all your client needs to send to the server is how many threads it wants to use.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html
Your CPU has 8 threads, but will use one to support the GPU, so you may see 7 claimed in the client.
Your CPU supports the fastest Floating Point math that F@H uses: AVX2.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_ ... tensions_2
FMA3 allows a Multiply and an Add in the same step, for a 60% speed up compared to AVX, which would use two steps.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

FAH chooses a default setting for the number of threads allocated to the CPU slot. It's up to you to adjust that setting if that's not the optimum for your system. (N-1) seems to be a good choice for NVidia GPUs. See viewtopic.php?f=111&t=36531&p=351065#p351065 for Intel GPUs.