2 easy question

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ska

2 easy question

Post by ska »

HI, to everyone
I have two not so powerful pc: a Laptop with an i3 6100ulv with intel graphics and a desktop with an i3 8100 (+ intel gpu) a powerful GPU and the old GPU still installed but not longer used
In order to avoid trouble, I decided to start folding just with CPU in order to learn and both of them share the same identity
My doubt as follow:
I am folding faster ( well.. earning more points) with the laptop rather than the desktop and this is weird because the desktop cpu is more powerful and often unused while I use the laptop more often.the laptop desktop ratio is 10point to 1.
Also FDH web control show that the laptop is using 3 cpu while the desktop is using 4
I removed all the GPU slots from FDH advanced control.
So, what I am doing wrong ?
Second question: Ideally I would like to use both the CPU for folding, the intel GPUs( if possible), and the old GPU 2 GB.
I was not able to let the intel IGP to fold (FDH recognize them but for some reason is unable to use them) and I was able to use the old amd, so in the near future it will start.
What I have to do in order to use also the intel gpus ?
Thank you in advance
ska

Re: 2 easy question

Post by ska »

Sorry, while the admin was approving my first post, I found out some answer( "not yet" "go beta") on using the IGPus .
Still, please help me with the first question and don't loose time on the second
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!

F@H supports AMD and Nvidia GPUs that have OpenCL 1.2 or better support and can do 64 Bit Floating Point math. (also called Double Precision)
There are beta projects to support Intel GPUs for no points.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html

Both these CPUs use the very best math F@H allows: AVX2

If you post the log from both PCs, we can look at them and compare.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036

You have removed the GPUs (when you readd them, the Desktop will use a CPU for each, so CPUs will = 2)
I find the easiest way to add them is to write down your folding name, team number, and passkey, then uninstall F@H including data and reinstall.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

Support of Intel GPUs has been the basis of a low priority study and it often gets delayed in favor of other structural changes. Compared with GPUs from AMD or nVidia, they are dreadfully slow and projects for them are already being processed by CPUs. Nevertheless, I do see some signs of progress. This is not any kind of prediction of when a public announcement of success might come.

Successfully supporting Intel GPUs has it's drawbacks. FAHClient would allocate one less CPU thread to the processing of the assignment running on you CPU. :(

It should be safe to assume that the AMD GPU will produce more points than the missing CPU thread. The FAHClient is designed to support both the AMD GPU and another WU running on the CPU. That design is having trouble when using an Intel GPU.

Does your system include "Optimus" where the more powerful GPU and the Intel GPU share the responsibility of generating the graphics for the desktop?
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/te ... echnology/
ska

Post by ska »

Hi.
Thank you for your support.
I delete and reinstalled FAH and now the faster CPU is folding more point than the slower ones. SO its ok
I don't have optimus, also because I read the various treads on that here.... and I prefer simpler effective stuff.

I am unable to have the rx 460 2 gb working properly. It works but it stops and keep restarting from the same point. Sometimes it make progress, but they disappear after a while. I earned 189 point in two hours.

I understood. I will try again and post here the logs if I need help on that, but I must leave for a couple of days for work, and proteins will survive with my two cpus folding for the moment.

I'll be back soon and Tx
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/r ... -460.c2849

1) on paper, this card is able to fold, it supports OpenCL 2.1 and all it needs is OpenCL 1.2, and it supports 64 Bit Floating Point math (Double Precision)

2) The developer chooses check points, every time you pause the card or reboot the PC it goes back to the last check point. To make progress, it need to be uninterrupted.

3) If it fails to fold at the current GPU speed, try to slow the speed by 100 Mhz. MSI Afterburner is advertised as for overclocking, but it also works to underclock.
https://www.msi.com/Landing/afterburner/graphics-cards
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

4) Check that all of the fans are turning, that the heat-sink is mostly dust free, and be sure the hot air is not recirculating in the case. Overheating is often the cause of intermittent WU failures (along with overclocking). GPU-Z has excellent monitoring on page 2.
ska

Post by ska »

Hi, Bruce & all. Thank you for the info
3) If it fails to fold at the current GPU speed, try to slow the speed by 100 Mhz. MSI Afterburner is advertised as for overclocking, but it also works to underclock.
3I can run the card at the speed needed, I just need to understand what speed FAH needs/expects. Do Fah want that I set the card as " stock". Or that I increase the frequency (speed ?) of the core ? or the Frequency of the memory ? or undervolt overvolt both ?Just let me know. In that machine Opencl 1.2 is installed as verified with GPU Caps viewer.

4) Check that all of the fans are turning, that the heat-sink is mostly dust free, and be sure the hot air is not recirculating in the case. Overheating is often the cause of intermittent WU failures (along with overclocking). GPU-Z has excellent monitoring on page 2.
4 The card is fine there is no overheating. I have a watchdog installed and Temperature remain stable at 51 C when Fah is running.
5 ?! More important : d I removed the card just before and substitute with an sapphire RX470 4 GB stock single fan,32 CU compared to the 14 and 4 GB instead of 2Gb.
I let it fold wfolding hile leaving. I left with the card folding in the specific was folding the project 13446 that is supposed to be a 54.000 point project. Today I returned and the project is still running!!!. I went to the sensor page of GPUZ.Card was absorbing 12 w instead of the 70 its supposed to Vrm efficiency is 45 % instead of 100, VDDC is below the stock default of 0.75.
I tried by removing the card from the GPU list and trying to fold something else,but keeps returning to try to fold the same project.
So, I remain with the following: Or FAH or the specific project isn't able to run the card(s) properly or the enviroment isn't fully compatible with what FAH expect. So, or I learn how to change project assignment or/and I change the software enviroment that was the only thing in common between the 2 setups, as I switch cards.
In order to do both or one of the test, I would like to know which AMD driver version is expected to work well with FAH and /or has been tested flawless and I will install that. Kindly let me know.
Thanks
ska

Post by ska »

Update.
I rolled back the Amd driver using the march 2020 ones and it worked
ska

Post by ska »

Hi.
I need some help, again.

I need to disable Folding at home for the Gpu because I have some complicate rendering to do that each take several hour and sometime also crash

I remove the slot with configure, save but when I restart the pc the day after FaH restart using the GPU.

How I can be sure this will not happen anymore without disinstalling FAH ?
thnaks
debs3759

Post by debs3759 »

Set the option "pause on start" in the advanced slot options for the gpu slot. viewtopic.php?f=61&t=26036 section 5 explains how. Best to finish the current work unit and have it paused first, if possible.