F@H Causing Black Screen Crash on GPU Activation

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Rutsy

F@H Causing Black Screen Crash on GPU Activation

Post by Rutsy »

Hello all,

I don't know what information you need from me, so I'll start by giving you my computer specs and what I assume you may want to know:
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 600 (BLACK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 80+ Gold
Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8GB)
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING

Running the current NVIDIA Driver: 466.47

The computer has 0 issues with anything else. Never crashed before. The steps that cause the crash are as follows:
1. Run Folding@Home Client.
2. Web Interface opens.
3. Set the identity.
4. CPU starts working. All is well.
5. Once GPU turns green and starts working, the computer crashes into a black screen. The computer seems to still be on, but the monitor and lights on my keyboard turn off. The only fix is to hard reset the computer.

Any input would be great. If I can provide anything to help, let me know. I hope to join in the folding fun soon!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: F@H Causing Black Screen Crash on GPU Activation

Post by Joe_H »

For starters, try running with a lower boost clock. The reference design uses a boost clock of 1582 and a base clock of 1480. Besides that, consider using a fan profile that has a minimum speed greater than 0.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
iero

Post by iero »

Joe_H wrote:For starters, try running with a lower boost clock. The reference design uses a boost clock of 1582 and a base clock of 1480. Besides that, consider using a fan profile that has a minimum speed greater than 0.
I would suggest you power cap the card to the minimum power limit possible and see if that works. If it does,we can work from there.
Your drivers are the latest ones, so nothing we can do on that front.
As for the fan, i guess the card has a fan stop below, say 50°C? Try lowering the threshold that the fans need to pass in order to kick in, in case a sudden spike in temperature caused the issue.

Apart from that the fact that the pc seems to be running while the keyboard goes out, seems wierd. Have you run any benchmarks on your GPU lately? Both the benchmarks and F@h tax you GPU to a higher degree than games do, and in doing so, they tend to find faults with the gpu and/or its operating "celling".

In any case, we would love to see the first 200 lines of your f@h log, in case anything strange is going on. The problem is, if you will be able to grab it before the pc locks up again.
GPU only
RTX 3060 12GB Gigabyte Gaming OC [currently mining]
Folding since 14/02/2021
Rutsy

Post by Rutsy »

As per your recommendations, I have:
1. Set the GPU Boost Clock as low as it will go (1549).
2. Set the Power Target to 46%, the lowest it will go.
3. GPU Temp Target changed with the power target and went down to 65C.

I will attempt to run it and see if I can grab the logs.

EDIT:
Even with the change in settings, my computer crashed the same way right when the GPU started working.

This is the only log in the logs folder: https://pastebin.com/0kUq2ieE

EDIT #2:
I reset the GPU changes stated above back to the default like in the picture.

After speaking to a friend of mine, he had me check my slots through the client. I managed to pause the folding before my computer crashed again, and checked it all out. This is what I saw:
- CPU slot ID 0
- GPU slot ID 1
+ PCI Bus was set to 36

Then I did the following and it hasn't crashed yet:
1. Removed the CPU
2. Changed the PCI Bus to 12.

My buddy's PCI Bus was at 1, so he wasn't sure why mine was at 36 or what it means. I originally changed it to 1 as well and it worked but set it to 12 to see if there was any difference. Honestly, I don't know what it does and won't be testing that further. If anyone does, please let me know. So far no crash and it's been 10 minutes.
iero

Post by iero »

bruce wrote:Some people have multiple GPUs in their system. When a new WU is downloaded, FAHClient must request one that works for a particular GPU (in case they're different) and the downloaded WU must be associated with the particular GPU that requested it. The two notations pci-slot 0 and pci-bus 1 are FAHClient's method of identifying the right GPU.
As Bruce said in another thread, this is the way F@h associates each WU to a GPU.

Has the issue been resolved? Are you still up and running?
GPU only
Folding since 14/02/2021
Rutsy

Post by Rutsy »

iero wrote:
bruce wrote:Some people have multiple GPUs in their system. When a new WU is downloaded, FAHClient must request one that works for a particular GPU (in case they're different) and the downloaded WU must be associated with the particular GPU that requested it. The two notations pci-slot 0 and pci-bus 1 are FAHClient's method of identifying the right GPU.
As Bruce said in another thread, this is the way F@h associates each WU to a GPU.

Has the issue been resolved? Are you still up and running?
I can run it now, which is good. Tried leaving it on overnight and woke up to my monitor not recognizing that it was plugged into the GPU and having to hard reset the pc. Something must've happened overnight, but no idea.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Is this a laptop with a feature called Optimus?

That feaure is designed to save power for a laptop that's used for "normal" activities. (and that FAH is excluded from what they characterize as normal.)

If your using it to browse the web or edit documents, the GPU processing is handled by a low-power GPU (probably an IBM iGPU) and if you decided to play a game where you need a high-powered GPU (probably from NVidia or AMD). It switches automatically based on the needs of the app you're running. FAH absolutely needs the high-power GPU. BUT ... FAH does not tolerate switching while a WU is being processed. You need to configure Optimus to stay in high-powered mode to avoid crashing FAH.
iero

Post by iero »

Rutsy wrote: I can run it now, which is good. Tried leaving it on overnight and woke up to my monitor not recognizing that it was plugged into the GPU and having to hard reset the pc. Something must've happened overnight, but no idea.
Did you try with Bus at value 1 or 12?
Did you get any points? If you did the GPU crunches through at least one WU.
bruce wrote:Is this a laptop with a feature called Optimus?

That feaure is designed to save power for a laptop that's used for "normal" activities. (and that FAH is excluded from what they characterize as normal.)

If your using it to browse the web or edit documents, the GPU processing is handled by a low-power GPU (probably an IBM iGPU) and if you decided to play a game where you need a high-powered GPU (probably from NVidia or AMD). It switches automatically based on the needs of the app you're running. FAH absolutely needs the high-power GPU. BUT ... FAH does not tolerate switching while a WU is being processed. You need to configure Optimus to stay in high-powered mode to avoid crashing FAH.
Bruce, given the Strix connotation on the top of the provided image and the wide range of unlocked settings that he has access to, I am fairly confident that it is a discrete ROG 1080ti. Rusty will let us know for sure though.
GPU only
Folding since 14/02/2021
bruce

Post by bruce »

iero wrote:
Rutsy wrote: I can run it now, which is good. Tried leaving it on overnight and woke up to my monitor not recognizing that it was plugged into the GPU and having to hard reset the pc. Something must've happened overnight, but no idea.
All you have to do is install the card and reboot. When FAHClient restarts, it resets those settings. Don't try to out-guess it. The only exception to that I know about is Optimus, where two different GPUs share the same monitor connection.
Rutsy

Post by Rutsy »

iero wrote:
bruce wrote:Is this a laptop with a feature called Optimus?

Bruce, given the Strix connotation on the top of the provided image and the wide range of unlocked settings that he has access to, I am fairly confident that it is a discrete ROG 1080ti. Rusty will let us know for sure though.
I tried the 1 and the 12. It worked as well. I got points on Friday night. I left it on during the weekend because I went camping and it did the black screen crash at some point.

It is not a laptop.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention. I have left it at 36. What it continues to default to.