Folding Name versus wallet adress

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

RichardTheKind

Folding Name versus wallet adress

Post by RichardTheKind »

So I started with crypto and mining 1 month ago, been searching about about this and that and found Dogecoin and created a wallet for my self.

The I decided hm, a good idea would be to do something and get paid in dogecoin ?
So I started this folding thing on a computer that was not used anyway.

Well Here I am now.

But I did create a name in the Folding Name window.

Was I suppose to put in wallet address there ? and how did I miss that ?

So ok, hmm

having points what can i do with them and the name and passkey ? what was the purpose of them if I should have put in my wallet address to get something ?

and should I now abort and start again from scratch with doge coin wallet address instead of name to receive something ?

IM confused, helping out has never been this complicated for me as trying to share resources from my 3 computers to aid in different things :D wow amazing
JimboPalmer

Re: Folding Name versus wallet adress

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!

F@H is not affiliated with any Crypto currency, and we do not support any.

For those questions I would ask at their website.

Best of luck
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
RichardTheKind

Post by RichardTheKind »

OK, so dogecoin is not a crypto coin?
because dogecoin (https://dogecoin.com/#start) says : have your first Dogecoin is to participate at Dogecoin Folding@Home.
which led me to an application that I downloaded, which started a process of giving cpu power to protein stuff,,
and in help -Z I am directed to this forum ?

So what am I missing now ?

https://client.foldingathome.org/
stopped folding temporarly,, at application because I am not understanding now why I am doing it
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Post by Neil-B »

I am a simple folder (not affiliated to FAH) but perhaps I can help explain.

FAH folds for science and as such simply awards points in recognition of peoples efforts folding - these have no value other than as a record/reminder for folders as to how much they have supported FAH.

The are various organisations/groups of people who have setup up additional rewards systems that are not supported/managed by FAH in any way (Dogecoin, Banano, Curecoin, to name but a few) where they give away rewards that have some value (usually based on how many FAH points their folders collect) ... These are run/managed totally separately to FAH and for any questions/issues/support for these then folders need to engage with the people who run/organise those reward schemes.

Each of these reward schemes has its own support processes which FAH has no control over ... this support forum is specifically aimed at FAH - the core software and issues with how that runs ... issues relating to how to set up FAH to participate properly in these other reward systems, about coin wallets or awarding of non FAH rewards will need to be addressed to the organisers of the reward scheme in question.

The Passkey is a FAH element and should be entered into the configuration settings for the FAH Client ... This boosts the FAH Points awarded - https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/points/ gives a bit of information about Points/Passkeys that might be helpful
Last edited by Neil-B on Thu May 27, 2021 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

I fold to cure and/or treat diseases.

You know the Dogecoin site, any help with dogecoin will be there. It is not any part of Folding@Home.
Tsar of all the Rushers
RichardTheKind

Post by RichardTheKind »

OK, then i guess im off from this place then.

I was looking for a way to mine and at same time contribute to science and help out.
No problem, I´ll just move on then.

uninstalling the software then.

thank you for explaining.
ajm

Post by ajm »

https://www.dogecoinfah.com/
Dig with Folding @ Home
Easy, simple, gui interface, Created by Stanford University
Runs in the background using idle computing time, even while you sleep
Help scientists studying Alzheimer's, Huntington's, Parkinson's, and many cancers
More than a decade of participation earning a world record of computing power in 2007

Get rewarded with Dogecoins
Dig, folding with the dogefolders team #226715
Use your Dogecoin wallet address as your folding user name.
Weekly block reward paid in Dogecoins
Already funded by donations
Dig for Folding @ Home points to earn Dogecoins
Automated system rains Dogecoins based on your percent of the team's points
On the same page, under "Community", you'll find several links to support systems, on reddit, Twitter, FB, etc.
Last edited by ajm on Thu May 27, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
iero

Post by iero »

What is up with all this hostility and rudeness towards people that want to combine folding with cryptos? I get that you can't/do not want to answer questions specific to each individual coin, but the fact that their efforts would contribute to science must be eluding you,no?
JimboPalmer wrote:I fold to cure and/or treat diseases.

You know the Dogecoin site, any help with dogecoin will be there. It is not any part of Folding@Home.
Could you have been more rude?....
GPU only
RTX 3060 12GB Gigabyte Gaming OC [currently mining]
Folding since 14/02/2021
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Post by Neil-B »

iero wrote:What is up with all this hostility and rudeness towards people that want to combine folding with cryptos? I get that you can't/do not want to answer questions specific to each individual coin, but the fact that their efforts would contribute to science must be eluding you,no?
JimboPalmer wrote:I fold to cure and/or treat diseases.

Could you have been more rude?....
I personally dislike all the reward systems (even FAH Points tbh) but I am happy to recognise that other people have different views and perspectives on these ... I believe the nature of rewards has the potential to drive unacceptable behaviours ... but I also recognise that the teams linked with non FAH reward systems contribute a significant amount to the folding resource pool and this may well outweigh what I see as the bad.

I know these forums are about supporting FAH and that folders (or even potential folders) with queries about the other rewards systems need to be redirected - but imho doing this in a manner that doesn't "scare off" or "upset" the person making the enquiry is the best approach for FAH ... Short precise responses are sometimes all one has time/inclination for but can be misconstrued by those reading them and create upset/harm ... We all do it, but sometimes the intent may come across wrong?
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

iero wrote:Could you have been more rude?....
Sure!
I welcomed him to F@H at the beginning and wished him luck after I explained why we don't support unrelated projects.

Only when he persisted did I get terse.

I never called him names or questioned his parentage, I just pointed him to help elsewhere.
Tsar of all the Rushers
bruce

Post by bruce »

RichardTheKind wrote:OK, then i guess im off from this place then.

I was looking for a way to mine and at same time contribute to science and help out.
No problem, I´ll just move on then.

uninstalling the software then.

thank you for explaining.
You missed the point.

Uninstalling FAH will stop you from curing disease AND from earning points. We are happy to help you with that.

FAH does not exchange points for coins. If you want to earn cyber-coins from any of those OTHER organizations, they're the ones who translate our points into coins to be placed in your purse based on the points you earned from us.