Control and Viewer install, not client - macOS

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ThePenguinVA

Control and Viewer install, not client - macOS

Post by ThePenguinVA »

I just downloaded folding at home on my Mac and the Controller and Viewer install, but not the Client. When I open the installer and try to manually install the client, it tells me the package is damaged. How can I fix this and do I need the client to fold properly?

Additionally, the percent completed in my controller is different than the viewer, as is the ETA. Is this normal?

Thank you.
aetch

Re: Control and Viewer install, not client - macOS

Post by aetch »

The FAHClient is the most important part, it's the Grand Central Station of the FAH environment on your system. It's the bit that talks to the folding @ home servers, downloads new folding cores, downloads and uploads work units.

FAHControl is merely a tool for monitoring and reconfiguring the client whether it is on your local computer or a remote computer.

FAHViewer is basically eye candy and you're not missing anything by not having it. As to % completion - is the viewer showing you the same work unit you were looking at on FAHControl? It has its own internal navigation controls to allow to select and view any of the clients/slots that FAHControl is connected to.
Folding Rigs - None (25-Jun-2022)

ImageImage
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Control and Viewer install, not client - macOS

Post by Joe_H »

If you are folding, then the FAHClient portion is installed and working. It is not installed in the F@h folder located in Applications but elsewhere. Because of this, the F@h installer also installs an uninstaller as well to properly remove all software components.

As for the difference between FAHViewer and FAHControl or using Web Control in a browser, the viewer is only displaying previews generated as part of the processing of a WU, they are created every so many steps or percent.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3