How do I permanenty stop F@H from using my graphics card?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Bunta

How do I permanenty stop F@H from using my graphics card?

Post by Bunta »

I configure my slots so that only the CPU is used, and I save, but every time I start the app it tries to use the GPU again. What can I do to stop F@H from ever using my graphics card please?
It's annoying to have to configure it every single time.

Kind Regards
JimboPalmer

Re: How do I permanenty stop F@H from using my graphics card

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!

This works, but seems odd
In the advanced client FAHControl choose Configure

Choose the slots tab

Highlight gpu and press Edit

in a space called Extra Slot Options, press Add

use the name pause-on-start and the value True

Now the GPU will not automatically start when F@H starts, only when you choose Fold
If you Finnish (or pause) the current Work unit, it will not reload a new one and will not reload one on boot up.

The slot never goes away, but it is not running. (If you try to make it go away, F@H re-finds it on start up, so you leave it, but tell it not to run)

I hope that helps.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Bunta

Post by Bunta »

Thanks, that helps, but why must this software force the GPU into use in the first place? And why doesn't saving the configuration retain the settings? this is a bug.
aetch

Post by aetch »

I'm not 100% on this but I think when you remove a folding slot you're also removing the configuration for it. The next time you start the client it sees a graphics card it doesn't have a configuration for so it automatically adds it and tries to configure it.

I'm pretty sure the client has an option to block the auto-configure of GPUs.
I'd suggest going into your advanced control panel -> Expert -> Extra client options -> add the following - Name: 'GPU', Value: 'false'
Folding Rigs - None (25-Jun-2022)

ImageImage
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Bunta wrote:Thanks, that helps, but why must this software force the GPU into use in the first place? And why doesn't saving the configuration retain the settings? this is a bug.
Unfortunately, this is a feature ... although I agree that this is a stupid one ... :(

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Bunta wrote:why must this software force the GPU into use in the first place? And why doesn't saving the configuration retain the settings?
For most rigs, over 80% of the Points they can make is via the Graphics card. So finding the Graphics card is important to the project.

There are ways to get around this, but as you see, they are used so rarely that no one remembers them. (I copied mine from a rig where I only use the GPU and paused the CPU)
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
debs3759

Post by debs3759 »

I never understood why you can remove the CPU slot permanently, but not the GPU, and never looked into it as I mostly only use my GPU (I run World Community Grid on the CPU). I would also use pause-on-start if I needed to though.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

toTOW wrote:
Bunta wrote:Thanks, that helps, but why must this software force the GPU into use in the first place? And why doesn't saving the configuration retain the settings? this is a bug.
Unfortunately, this is a feature ... although I agree that this is a stupid one ... :(
Yes, a feature that came about due to many requests that the GPU detection by the client be improved. In getting that done the code has become a bit too good at detecting and configuring for a GPU. Perhaps a future revision will provide ways to limit that beyond the On-Off switch of setting the option 'gpu' to 'false'.
debs3759 wrote:I never understood why you can remove the CPU slot permanently, but not the GPU, and never looked into it as I mostly only use my GPU (I run World Community Grid on the CPU). I would also use pause-on-start if I needed to though.
For a CPU only system you can't remove the CPU slot. The client will auto configure to always have at least one folding slot, on a GPU only system that slot is sufficient to keep the CPU slot from coming back.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3