If you can, explain this thing to me like I'm an idiot.

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Compodulator

If you can, explain this thing to me like I'm an idiot.

Post by Compodulator »

First of all, it's nice to see an old-school forum.

Apparently, this thing doubles as a dogecoin miner.
I should also join a team, the client says. I'm not against it
Here's the thing, though: I'm epileptic and went through... god knows how many magnets... and several surgeries due to bashing my head on because of grand mals. In fact, I'm sitting here are right now and oozing not-exactly-blood out of my head. According to the surgeon, this is normal.
With this in mind, please explain what's going on like I'm not just any idiot, I'm THE idiot.
SO!
How do I get doge out of FaH, and how do I join a team?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: If you can, explain this thing to me like I'm an idiot.

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

First, the folding client and its software does not in any way double as a dogecoin or other cryptocurrency miner. Those are awarded by specific teams and how they mine coins is separate from folding. Not interested in cryptocurrency, then just do not join one of those teams that provide that type of reward.

The Folding@home statement on cryptocurrencies is here - https://foldingathome.org/2019/01/14/fo ... es/?lng=en.

In the broader sense, there are a number of teams who give out various types of rewards for those who participate in Folding@home and sometimes other distributed computing projects. Some rewards are virtual such as "badges" for those who have met certain goals, others are things like cryptocurrency or discounts on hardware purchases. One team connected with a hardware manufacturer provided discounts for over a decade, just ending about a year ago.

That said, the position on teams from the official F@h site - foldingathome.org - has always been that you may want to join a team, not "should". If you do not specify a team, you get placed in the default "team" 0 or "anonymous" which is everybody who has not chosen a team. Joining a team is easy, you just enter the team number in the client and it is done. You can even create your own team.

The harder part is choosing a team. This forum for example is kept as team neutral as possible, and recruiting for teams is not allowed here. You may just go through lists of team names through either the official F@h site or third party sites and see if one matches your interests. Many teams also have their own websites and forums or other social media connections.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

Doge and Fah are 2 different things.
Are you trying to mine and fold at the same time? If so, you could overwork your GPU.

First,
not asked, but related, make sure you have a username and passkey, or create one here:
https://apps.foldingathome.org/getpasskey

Second,
either create your team here: https://apps.foldingathome.org/team

Or, search for a team name and copy the ID number (usually 6 digits, but could be anything from 1 to 6 numerical digits), using one of the sites below:
https://stats.foldingathome.org/team, or
https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_list.php

Joining a team, you first find the team you want to join, and click on it.
The team will appear in the address bar as a number, like a 1-7 digit number or something, usually it consist of 6 numbers.
Copy that number

Now just add it in the FAH program settings.
You can only join 1 team at a time.
If no team is inserted, you automatically join team 'Default', with ID number '0'.
if no username is inserted, any processed WUs will automatically be added to user 'Anonymous'.
If no passkey is used, no bonus points will be assigned to your account. No bonus points are assigned for 'Anonymous' either.
Bonus points just help you more accurately track your progress, when comparing to other users.
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Post by Neil-B »

Welcome to the forums.

A little bit further to what has previously been said to possibly direct you where you may want to be ... If you google Dogecoin and Folding at Home in the same search you may find a group who purports to provide rewards in the form you may be looking for (I can neither confirm nor deny that this is actually the case) ... If you do find such a group and go to their website there will possibly be explanations there as to how their reward system works and it might also explain how to setup/configure fah in a way that might let you get rewards from them that might be based upon points that you earn by running Folding at Home.

Obviously if you wanted to find other groups who may offer different rewards then google would be your friend for these as well ... as the link posted by Joe_H details FaH doesn't endorse (or support in any way) non FaH rewards systems (inc. Cryptocurrencies) and as such cannot assist with issues around these ... any groups offering such rewards will provide their own support and instructions via whatever route they choose.
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)