Slot Options For V7 (Pictorial Guide)

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Adding "flags" in V7 (Pictorial Guide)

Postby MtM » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:11 pm

Mhm am I using an older version then? Nope..

This is odd, but there is a thread somewhere about failing to save slot options, I suggest you look for it and if applicable mention your problem there. Sorry for not doing the search for you but no time :)

Also, my flag isn't even supported, it should have been ati_r700 not rv_700. So, the reason your settings are not saved are not due to the fahcontrol application itself I think but due to a permission problem writing the configuration info to disk ( and thus saving it ). Again the thread I'm thinking about should be the place for this dicussion though, not here ( and I wouldn't object if the last few posts were trimmed to keep this thread on topic ).
MtM

Postby johnT89 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:55 pm

I don't think its a permission problem because as I said, config parameters ARE all saved, except the forcegpu ones. I think the issue is related to the thread because it looks to me as a 'flag adding problem'.

The GUI provides a 'Name' and a 'Value' field, so its not obvious to me how to insert parameters structured like the --gpu --gpu-species nvidia_fermi one.

If I have a parameter named --parameter = 5, its clear to me that the Name field is 'parameter' and the 'value' is 5.
What if the parameter looks like --parameter --subparameter = 5 ?

The --gpu --gpu-species <type> (https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/F ... ncesV6ToV7) isn't clear to me. Since my problem is figuring out how to add that flag, I think my issue is in topic.

EDIT: I managed to work around that by passing the argument this way: Name: extra-core-args Value: -forcegpu nvidia_fermi.

This way, the parameter is saved correctly. Not sure if it will work, but it is written to the config (when I type unrecognized commands they don't get written to the config).
johnT89

Postby MtM » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:07 pm

1. Need to correct myself, value's aren't saved to the xml file here either.

2. Won't work as the flag is invalid.

Option name: --gpu --gpu-species <type>
Don't use preceding dashes ( from the fahcontrol article, last sentence iirc ).

so that makes it : gpu gpuspecies ati_r700

( name as you said: extra-core-args )

This is both saved to xml file and follows the syntax from the last line of the article. Not sure if the core will pick it up as vnc isn't working anymore so I'm logging in with rdp ( and rdp = no gpu folding ).

Edit: to summarize, you should be using

name: extra-core-args
value: gpu gpu-species nvidia_fermi
MtM

Postby johnT89 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:53 pm

MtM wrote:Edit: to summarize, you should be using

name: extra-core-args
value: gpu gpu-species nvidia_fermi

1) gpu gpu-species gave me 'invalid parameter'.
2) isn't the extra-core-args tought to be used for 'old' v6 parameters? for example, extra-core-args -forceasm?
johnT89

Postby 7im » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:07 pm

gpu-species is not used any more. That's why it's not listed on the first page in PantherX's post.

However, you can still pass the "-forcegpu nvidia_fermi" flag to the fahcore.

In Fahcontrol, select Configure, Expert Tab, in the Extra Core Options section, click the Add button.
Enter this value: -forcegpu nvidia_fermi

Click Ok, click Save. Done.

Edit by Mod:
Note: -forcegpu xxxxxx is NOT a core arg, it's a V6 client argument. The V6 client interprets it and acts on it. V7 is capable of passing any argument to the FahCore, but only the ones that the FahCore can act on will do any good, and the FahCore cannot interpret -forcegpu. This is a bit confusing since -forceasm is both a V6 client argument and a FahCore argument. The function of that argument for the V6 client is simply to pass it on to the FahCore.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby MtM » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:28 am

To many things unclear to me it seems, sorry for adding to the confusion instead of being able to help clear it up. The settings I tried where saved between restarts but I didn't check the core output for 'recognition' of the command.

7im, when things aren't clear to me, I always blame the documentation, am I right or wrong? From what I've read the argument should be as I posted, if it's -forcegpu still, it should be noted in the wiki not only left out of the first post in a thread on the forum. But, I admit I'm more in need of 100% accurate and complete information then others who seem to be more capable of linking info together from different places :(

Edit:

Also, 7im, the area you're describing has been somewhat of a mystery to me anyway, why can I set extra core options without specifying for which core/slot this option should be set? What if I have more then one gpu slot? How does FAHControl decide where to apply the argument, and where not? I could look at the source but seeing how I can't step through it with a debugger it's been an hard task for me to get a firmer grip on the application.
MtM

Postby 7im » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:21 pm

V7 was designed to be multifunctional...

The Slots tab will add settings "per slot" ;)

The Expert tab will add settings for all clients.

Pick which one you want to use for your situation...

With passing older v6 flags like -forcegpu, you can set them in either place.

In the slots tab, add the option extra-core-args with the value of the -forcegpu xxx switch.

Or in the Expert tab, in the Extra Core Options section, add the -forcegpu xxx switch.
7im

Postby JimF » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:24 pm

7im wrote:With passing older v6 flags like -forcegpu, you can set them in either place.

Does "-advmethods" still work, or do you now use "bigadv" (or something else?) for gpus?
GTX 970 (i5-3550), GTX 980 (i7-3770); Win10 64-bit; FAH 7.4.4
JimF

Postby 7im » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Still work for what?

No, bigadv is still an SMP client only setting.

The documentation shows a V7 "client-type" setting, with options for advmethods, beta, etc. You don't have to pass the older v6 "-advmethods" setting.
7im

Postby MtM » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:51 pm

I felt like complaining the 'default' advice should not be to put such a flag in global options but always per slot, thinking, wrongly I admit which is why I won't really complain just post why it struck me as odd, most people would have a setup like mine with different gpu's in one system. But then again, most people use gpu's of the same kind so they can game with xfire or sli. And those who buy them for folding and mix cards should be advanced enough to put the flag in per slot.
MtM

Postby JimF » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:53 pm

7im wrote:The documentation shows a V7 "client-type" setting, with options for advmethods, beta, etc. You don't have to pass the older v6 "-advmethods" setting.

Sorry, I don't see it. Where is the option for "advmethods"? Do you have to use "expert" mode?
JimF

Postby 7im » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:13 pm

The Slots tab is available in Advanced mode. Expert tab, er well, yes, in Expert mode. ;)

Any customization is considered an advanced or expert level setup. And as such, one is expected to have at least skimmed the documentation... this document shows the "advmethods" option.

https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/FAHClient/wiki/ClientDifferencesV6ToV7
7im

Postby JimF » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:17 pm

Thank you, I was just looking at the "FAHControl" article noted in the first post, which didn't mention it.
JimF

Postby PantherX » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:12 pm

JimF wrote:Thank you, I was just looking at the "FAHControl" article noted in the first post, which didn't mention it.
I have mentioned it in the first post:
Code: Select all
Name           Value       Description
client-type    advanced    This flag will grant you access to WUs in late-stage beta.
client-type    bigadv      This flag will allow you to get bigadv WUs on capable systems.

Furthermore, in the FAHControl article, it is mentioned at the end of this section (https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/F ... trol#Slots).
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby JimF » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:19 pm

PantherX wrote: I have mentioned it in the first post:
Code: Select all
Name           Value       Description
client-type    advanced    This flag will grant you access to WUs in late-stage beta.
client-type    bigadv      This flag will allow you to get bigadv WUs on capable systems.

Furthermore, in the FAHControl article, it is mentioned at the end of this section (https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/F ... trol#Slots).

Not quite. It does not equate -advmethods with "advanced". And "bigadv" is apparently for CPUs only. In fact, there is really nothing to distinguish the GPU flags from the CPU flags in the cited section. I think you should make that more clear.
JimF

PreviousNext

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux