Slot Options For V7 (Pictorial Guide)

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Adding "flags" in V7 (Pictorial Guide)

Postby 7im » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:43 pm

Hey, GW, don't spin this around on me. You said the flag couldn't be added. All I did was show how it could be added. And then I clearly said it wouldn't help.

extra-core-args is how you pass older flags through V7 to the fahcore.

I don't recall exactly how forcegpu works. In v6, it clearly told the client to bypass hardware detection, and it set some kind of value so the client passed along the right settings to the Assignment server so that you got the right kind of work units, hence the G80 vs. Fermi options.

Passing this flag through to the fahcore probably does nothing in V7. And it certainly won't refill an empty work server.

It hurt nothing to try it. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby MtM » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:52 pm

I totally forgot about the assignment aspect, hence me trying to use the flag on a core option when you're right it shouldn't be there it should be in slot options... sorry
MtM

Postby gwildperson » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:55 pm

Well, don;t try to turn it around on me, either.

As I understand it, it's the client that needs hardware detection. In V6 the -forcegpu flag could override improper detection of the hardware and tell the AS that you have a specific type of GPU, even if it's not detected. In V7 that's not possible.

Ultimately, it's the client that tells the AS what it thinks you have. Then it's the responsiblity of the AS to assign whatever project can be folded by that hardware and to avoid assignments that cannot be folded. The FahCore should never get a WU it can't process.

Passing an unnecessary flag to a FahCore can be done, of course, but telling somebody how to to that is just as useless as the flag itself will be.
gwildperson

Postby 7im » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:57 pm

We agree on everything except that last part.

Useless to the current problem, but instructive to everyone in general. ;)
7im

Postby MtM » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:06 pm

https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/F ... tUserGuide

The gpus option is analogous to the cpus option with SMP cores but at the time of this writing no core uses multiple GPUs so you should set this to 1 to enable a GPU slot.

You can set the following enumerated options if you think your GPU was detected incorrectly:

gpu-vendor-id
gpu-device-id
For example you can define the hardware like this:

<config>
. . .
<slot><gpus v="1"/>
<gpu-vendor-id v="0xXXXX"/>
<gpu-device-id v="0xXXXX"/>
</slot>
</config>

You know, if -forcegpu doesn't work so doesn't this, but if it doesn't why isn't it mentioned?

Btw I can change things using those field but I'm not having issues, how about posting the deviceID of a working nvidia fermi architecture gpu so it can be tried here -> viewtopic.php?f=67&t=18416&p=184253#p184253

Unless the permission error is the source of the recognition problems?
MtM

Postby 7im » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:42 pm

I'm not going to suggest this, just mention it. As said above, there is nothing you can do to force an updated whitelist of hardware. If the client doesn't recognize your hardware, it won't run.

However, I will mention that one might try to pick a similar piece of hardware, and program the client configuration with a GPU Vendor ID and GPU Device ID of that similar hardware that's already on the whitelist.

<slot id="0" type="GPU">
<gpu-id v="0"/>
<gpu-index v="0"/>
<gpu-vendor-id v="0x10de"/>
<gpu-device-id v="0x0622"/>
</slot>

EDIT: This probably won't work either, because it was suggested the client checks these IDs against the actual IDs in the card, and if they don't match... :( I must have missed that in my reading of all the many release notes.
7im

Postby Athlonite » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:12 pm

NVM
Last edited by Athlonite on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asus M23A32MVP-Deluxe AMD Phenom II x4 940BE @ 3.41GHz
2xCorsair Dominator twin2x2048 PC8500C5D DDR2-1066MHz 5-5-5-15 CL2
2x HIS ATI Radeon HD5770Fan 1GB @ 940/1275
SilverStone RV02B-W case & ST75F-P 750W full modular PSU
Windows7 X64
Athlonite

Postby 7im » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:15 pm

Athlonite wrote:use this

Name: gpu-vendor-id
Value: G???? (whatever your GPU's core is designated as) ie: G88 or G92 or G100

If you look at the post above, that's not how it works.

Do you have a client log showing this alternate method actually works?
7im

Postby Jorge1950 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:37 pm

That has to be done, so that from the start of Windows 7, start FAH work?
And on Windows XP? :?:
Sorry for the order of the words. Microsoft translation.
Sorry for the translation. This aspect, obliges me to very short and concrete sentences. Little by little he will go forward, also in this field.
Thank you for your understanding. Jorge Barrientos
Jorge1950

Postby PantherX » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:11 am

Not sure what you mean so here are some ideas:

The shortcut that is on the desktop can be used to achieve the results in my first post.

Windows XP had "Start" but Windows Vista and WIndows 7 has the "Orb" and it the same thing (with more tweaks and features).

If you are unsure, please post the log and/or pictures so we can help you.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby Bikkja » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:18 pm

Is there a way to change the cpu usagn (0-100%) in the new beta client? Didnt see any references to it in this thread.
Bikkja

Postby bruce » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:53 pm

To the right of the "Quit" function at the top of FAHClient, there's a setting for Novice/Advanced/Expert. If it's set to Novice, change it to Advanced.

Click Configure and select the Advanced tab.

It should be noted that % CPU Usage is really only supported when running the uniprocessor core. SMP and GPU cores can be adjusted but they're both a very indirect way to manage performance so you'll only see very slight changes rather than the results you might expect.
bruce

Postby Bikkja » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:23 pm

The reason why I asked, is because GPU-folding with this client is very laggy om my machine. It make ordinary work hard, hence why I can not fold with gpu while Im using the machine. On other gpu-clients, Ive bypassed this issue by reducing the cpu usagn to e.g. 2%. When I used the metode described above by Bruce, it didnt work on the lagg-issue. That also seems like a setting per machine, and not per client, right? I think it would be nice to have the possibility to set such settings per client as well.

Im using the newest Nvidia drivers and GTX260.

Has anyone got any suggestion to overcome this problem? I would perfer to stick with the newest drivers. I believe to throttle the cpu-use by the gpu-client might be the best way.
Bikkja

Postby bruce » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:49 pm

The throttling of the GPU depends mostly on having the right drivers. Unfortunately I'm not really knowledgable in that area.

There's a environment variable called FAH_GPU_IDLE which can set in Windows that's supposed to work, though I have not needed it. Setting it to 5 or 10 (percent) might help.
bruce

Postby PantherX » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:21 pm

Rather than stating the "newest" driver, it would be better if you stated the Driver Version that you installed so others can share their comments (if necessary). For the environment variable, please read this (http://fahwiki.net/index.php/Environmen ... GPU_Client).
PantherX
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux