Slot Options For V7 (Pictorial Guide)

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Adding "flags" in V7 (Pictorial Guide)

Postby Bikkja » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:19 am

PantherX wrote:Rather than stating the "newest" driver, it would be better if you stated the Driver Version that you installed so others can share their comments (if necessary). For the environment variable, please read this (http://fahwiki.net/index.php/Environmen ... GPU_Client).

I agree with you there... Nvidia driver 275.33
Bikkja

Postby Athlonite » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:59 am

PantherX wrote:Rather than stating the "newest" driver, it would be better if you stated the Driver Version that you installed so others can share their comments (if necessary). For the environment variable, please read this (http://fahwiki.net/index.php/Environmen ... GPU_Client).

Are any of those AMD/ATI system variables still valid for use with v7 I thought they no longer worked because core_16 was using OpenCL which isn't effected by CAL/brook type arguments
Asus M23A32MVP-Deluxe AMD Phenom II x4 940BE @ 3.41GHz
2xCorsair Dominator twin2x2048 PC8500C5D DDR2-1066MHz 5-5-5-15 CL2
2x HIS ATI Radeon HD5770Fan 1GB @ 940/1275
SilverStone RV02B-W case & ST75F-P 750W full modular PSU
Windows7 X64
Athlonite

Postby PantherX » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:41 am

Athlonite wrote:

Are any of those AMD/ATI system variables still valid for use with v7 I thought they no longer worked because core_16 was using OpenCL which isn't effected by CAL/brook type arguments
AFAIK, the present FahCore_16 doesn't support it. However, any environment variable for FahCore_11 should (in theory) work with V7 as it is the same FahCore.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby Athlonite » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:04 am

So no real way as of yet to stop the AMD/ATI gpu core_16 WU's from using a butt load of CPU time hmmm time will tell maybe somewhere along the way someone will work out how to stop it from doing so
Athlonite

Postby Fallen-Angel » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:13 pm

Sorry if the question was answered anywhere in this thread, but it's so late.... and the thread is so big ^^
Nevertheless, is there a difference between setting the client-type to "advanced" and "beta"? I ask because an experienced FAH Donor told me to set the client-type to "beta" in order to receive x16 cores instead of the x11 cores for my GPU (HD6950).

Best regards,

FA
Fallen-Angel

Postby 7im » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:24 am

There are both beta and advanced work units of both types, fahcore_11 and fahcore_16. Neither setting will prevent you from getting fahcore_11 work units. That's not how those flags work.

However, I don't know this for sure, but it is likely there are more new work units of the fahcore_16 type, so you are more likely to get fewer fahcore_11 work units using the beta setting.

Also note that unless you are a member of the beta team, none of your questions about beta work units will be answered here. Support for beta work units is not offered unless you are a beta team member.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby 7im » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:25 am

Athlonite wrote:So no real way as of yet to stop the AMD/ATI gpu core_16 WU's from using a butt load of CPU time hmmm time will tell maybe somewhere along the way someone will work out how to stop it from doing so

Reduce the setting on the CPU slider on the GPU client.
7im

Postby Fallen-Angel » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:02 am

7im wrote:There are both beta and advanced work units of both types, fahcore_11 and fahcore_16. Neither setting will prevent you from getting fahcore_11 work units. That's not how those flags work.....

I set the flag "client-type" to "beta" and now I get x16 cores (which are much better than x11 for my GPU). So for me, it works. Nevertheless I thank you for your quick answer.
Fallen-Angel

Postby PantherX » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:07 am

Fallen-Angel wrote:
7im wrote:There are both beta and advanced work units of both types, fahcore_11 and fahcore_16. Neither setting will prevent you from getting fahcore_11 work units. That's not how those flags work.....

I set the flag "client-type" to "beta" and now I get x16 cores (which are much better than x11 for my GPU). So for me, it works. Nevertheless I thank you for your quick answer.
Welcome to the F@H Forum Fallen-Angel,

I am sure that the Experienced F@H Donor was correct but currently, that isn't the case since FahCore_16 is released to advmethods (http://folding.typepad.com/news/2011/03 ... oards.html). I would suggest that you remove the beta flag and replace it with advanced and you should be assigned FahCore_16 if they are available. Otherwise, you will be assigned FahCore_11.
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby Fallen-Angel » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:19 pm

PantherX wrote:
Fallen-Angel wrote:

Welcome to the F@H Forum Fallen-Angel,

I am sure that the Experienced F@H Donor was correct but currently, that isn't the case since FahCore_16 is released to advmethods (http://folding.typepad.com/news/2011/03 ... oards.html). I would suggest that you remove the beta flag and replace it with advanced and you should be assigned FahCore_16 if they are available. Otherwise, you will be assigned FahCore_11.

Thanks PantherX,
I'll change the client-type value to "advanced" and look if I'll get the core-16 WUs. I don't have any problems with the beta WUs jet, so if I'll receive the core-11 WUs again, I set the client-type value to "beta" again.
Fallen-Angel

Postby Jesse_V » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:25 pm

I am under the impression that Core 11 has a very limited lifespan. Apparently the Brook language on which it is written is being dropped, which forced F@h to rewrite their code using OpenCL, which led to Core 16. However, it was my understanding that some calculations could only be done using Core 11, so they were trying to get as much calculations done with it as they could before it went away completely. http://folding.typepad.com/news/2011/03 ... -gpus.html

Do what you can.
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Postby Fallen-Angel » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:49 pm

For AMD users it's more improving to use fah_core_16 due to better gpu performance while folding. But it's a pity that fah_core_11 will not be supported further and older GPUs can't fold core_16...
Fallen-Angel

Postby codysluder » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:56 pm

johnT89 wrote:I have the 7.1.24 client, but the option is not saved. I've set other options like the client-type one and they ARE saved, but this gpuspecies one isn't.

See the middle item in this post. viewtopic.php?f=67&t=19648&p=196975#p196975 When you configure a variable in a way that sets it to the default value, the statement is useless and is not saved in the configuration. Is that what you're doing?
codysluder

Postby 7im » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:16 pm

I don't think gpu-species is an option that can be configured, hence no saving. I think that changed in the 3rd beta version. Please read the release notes from the lastest releases to see these GPU related changes.

4th open beta http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=19795
3rd open beta http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=19648

Upgrade to the 4th version, released today, would be a good test. ;)
7im

Postby JoshEllie-16 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:00 pm

Step 5: A small window appears. Here you enter the Name and Value exactly as they appear and click OK

Sorry, what name and value? And where do they appear?
"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then it's all fun and games that they can't see anymore."

James Hetfield, Metallica.
JoshEllie-16

Location: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000844654812

PreviousNext

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux