Getting an installation error on AMD system :(

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Getting an installation error on AMD system :(

Postby bdwilson » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:59 pm

This is very strange. I'm building a new PC with an MSI board and AMD Phenom II X4 925 processor + 2GB DDR3.

After a fresh installation of Windows XP 32bit + downloading all Windows updates, I installed the appropriate Folding 7 beta using all of the default settings (SMP, anonymous, etc) and having it start FAHControl automatically. After installation the program did not open as usual, and when I click the FAHControl icon on the desktop, I get this:

"C:\Programfiles\Fahclient\fahcontrol.exe

The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program repeatedly, changed the installation directory to a new folder I created at C:\folding, rebooted several times and it makes no difference. The FAHClient seems to open fine manually, but this error pops up every time and I open FAHControl. Any ideas?
bdwilson

Re: Getting an installation error on AMD system :(

Postby 7im » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:58 pm

v7.1.24 ?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby bdwilson » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:35 pm

Yep
bdwilson

Postby 7im » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:41 pm

Just for grins, uninstall everything, including the data check box, and then follow the V7 Express install guide, step by step.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGuide#ntoc7

Unless there is a serious system problem, I don't see how it could fail after that.
7im

Postby bdwilson » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:59 pm

Thanks, but no change unfortunately. I googled the "application configuration is incorrect" error and apparently people get the same message while running a wide variety of programs, so it isn't just F@H. I completely reinstalled XP after getting the error the first time and it didn't help, so there must be some glitch with my particular hardware. I dunno. If I can't find any other solution, I'll try installing Windows 7 instead and see if that resolves it.
bdwilson

Postby Leonardo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:39 am

If I can't find any other solution, I'll try installing Windows 7 instead and see if that resolves it.
Or you could simply install the version 6 CPU and/or GPU clients. (I haven't yet moved to V7, but have experimented with it.)
Leonardo

Postby alius » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:28 am

skimpy post that made it past the newbie spam filter: try installing the visual studio 2008 sp1 c++ redistributable, it worked for me

original message i wanted to post:

I experienced this same issue with the v7 client under XP Pro on an Intel machine. After doing some digging, I had a hunch that the program is dependent on Visual C++ runtime libraries that had not been installed on that machine. These would probably be included with newer versions of Windows, at the very least I assume Windows 7 would have them, if not Vista.

For anyone else who experiences this, try installing the VS2008 SP1 c++ redistributable from Microsoft

Hope this helps!
alius

Postby JPinTO » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:36 pm

Thanks for the C++ installation link which solved this issue for me.

- JP
JPinTO

Postby JPinTO » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:20 pm

This problem also can affect a fresh XP build on a Intel/NVIDIA Gpu based system.

The C++ installation link above resolves the problem.
JPinTO

Postby 7im » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:27 pm

Fresh XP build? No such thing with a 10 year old operating system. Even installing the latest "fresh" XP SP3 build, you will still have over a 100 Windows Updates to load just to get current.

And if you ever did get current, you wouldn't have this .Net or C++ problem withh FAH V7. But people never run the updates like they should...
7im

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux