FAHClient V7.1.38 released (4th Open-Beta)

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Re: FAHClient V7.1.38 released (4th Open-Beta)

Postby Jesse_V » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:14 am

Joe_H wrote:P.S. At the moment the server for the wiki linked in Jesse_V's post is not responding, so I can't link to the specific part that shows how to add the setting.

Works now. I don't know what was up before...
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Postby JimF » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:38 pm

Lord_Meshadieme wrote:I have a suggestion to one feature that has been bugging me often, i use folding on my desktop and occassionally i need to reboot for certain things, and it automatically start folding causing a slower boot up. a feature like "Pause on boot" would be helpful for situations like that.

In my WinXP days, I used Startup Delayer to solve problems like that. I haven't needed it with Win7 (64-bit) however.
http://www.r2.com.au/page/products/page ... startdelay
GTX 970 (i5-3550), GTX 980 (i7-3770); Win10 64-bit; FAH 7.4.4
JimF

Postby MtM » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:54 am

You can use task scheduler in windows vista and up to automate startup behavior and if you want to, delays to it.

Joe_H wrote:After losing bonus points for my first WU after installing the V7 beta because it defaults to slots started and active, I now have it set up so the slot is paused on startup.

What version was that? I never had it override username and team.
MtM

Postby Joe_H » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:44 pm

Not the current version, so I would have to look it up to be sure. I think it was 7.1.24. But it did not override the settings, this was after a new install since I was upgrading from v.6.29 on OS X. At initial installation there is no config.xml file, in fact the entire directory for the configuration, log and work files is not yet created. Following the installation instructions I had at that point, I started up the FAHControl app and it immediately downloaded a WU and created the directories needed. Then I went through the various menus and configure items such as username, team and passkey. Of course, since the WU was downloaded with none of those set, when returned I just got the base points awarded.

MtM wrote:You can use task scheduler in windows vista and up to automate startup behavior and if you want to, delays to it.

Joe_H wrote:After losing bonus points for my first WU after installing the V7 beta because it defaults to slots started and active, I now have it set up so the slot is paused on startup.

What version was that? I never had it override username and team.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby jcoffland » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:55 am

There were a number of delays but v7.1.39 is now in internal testing. Barring any major problems a beta release is coming soon. Some of the highlights for v7.1.39 are a fix for the one minute core shutdown delay, log filtering and major changes to the OSX and Linux packages.
Cauldron Development LLC
http://cauldrondevelopment.com/
jcoffland
Pande Group Member

Postby Grandpa_01 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:52 pm

jcoffland wrote:There were a number of delays but v7.1.39 is now in internal testing. Barring any major problems a beta release is coming soon. Some of the highlights for v7.1.39 are a fix for the one minute core shutdown delay, log filtering and major changes to the OSX and Linux packages.

So bring it on, hopefully it will be released soon. :D
2 - SM H8QGi-F AMD 6xxx=112 cores @ 3.2 & 3.9Ghz
5 - SM X9QRI-f+ Intel 4650 = 320 cores @ 3.15Ghz
2 - I7 980X 4.4Ghz 2-GTX680
1 - 2700k 4.4Ghz GTX680
Total = 464 cores folding
Grandpa_01

Postby MtM » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:47 pm

Joe_H wrote:Not the current version, so I would have to look it up to be sure. I think it was 7.1.24. But it did not override the settings, this was after a new install since I was upgrading from v.6.29 on OS X. At initial installation there is no config.xml file, in fact the entire directory for the configuration, log and work files is not yet created. Following the installation instructions I had at that point, I started up the FAHControl app and it immediately downloaded a WU and created the directories needed. Then I went through the various menus and configure items such as username, team and passkey. Of course, since the WU was downloaded with none of those set, when returned I just got the base points awarded.

Ahh ok, I never looked at the osX package hence my surprise. I even missed some builds for windows I'm sure :oops: Hope what ever it was that caused it is fixed or will be fixed, wether it was the install package or documentation.
MtM

Postby brainvision » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:36 am

hi..

I'm looking for the 1.38 beta client source code to use it in my Slackware Linux, but I can't find.. where could I download it, pliz?
EDIT: maybe not the source corde but the general binary.. anyway, something that is not only for debian or redhat!!
brainvision

Postby Pick2 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:14 pm

Everything that is available is linked to in the first post of this thread.

viewtopic.php?p=196988#p196988
Pick2

Postby brainvision » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:04 pm

I'm curious to know what those links refer to:
https://fah-web.stanford.edu/file-releases/beta/release/fahclient/debian-sarge-32bit/v7.1/fahclient_7.1.38_Debian-Sarge-32bit-release_i386.deb
https://fah-web.stanford.edu/file-releases/beta/release/fahclient/debian-sarge-32bit/v7.1/FAHClient-7.1.38-Debian-Sarge-32bit-release.tar.bz2
both are taken from the debain/ubuntu directory of the beta client download https://fah-web.stanford.edu/file-releases/beta/release/fahclient/
I would like to know that because I use Slackware: is it the tar.bz2 a source code archive or a binary one or what else? Actually I have a really bad wireless, so that download them would be a big problem, for me..

thanks

P.S.: and anyway, how a non Ubuntu/RedHat Linux user can do to use the beta client? could him or couldn't him?
brainvision

Postby jcoffland » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:47 am

brainvision wrote:P.S.: and anyway, how a non Ubuntu/RedHat Linux user can do to use the beta client? could him or couldn't him?

Unfortunately we don't support any other packaging options for Linux. However, you can unpack the .rpm or .deb to get to the files. Installation will be completely manual in this case.

A .deb is really a ar archive containing a few .tar.gzs. So you don't need any special tools to extract on Slackware. Try this:

Code: Select all
ar vx fahclient_7.1.38_Debian-Sarge-32bit-release_i386.deb
tar xzvf data.tar.gz

That will extract everything in the current directory but organized in system folders. E.g. FAHClient will be in $PWD/usr/bin/. You could then manually install the binaries to /usr/local/bin. You might also want to install a start up script. It's been many years since I used Slackware and I don't remember if it uses init.d scripts but if it does you may be able use the one provided to autostart the client at boot.
jcoffland
Pande Group Member

Postby brainvision » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:36 am

jcoffland wrote:
brainvision wrote:P.S.: and anyway, how a non Ubuntu/RedHat Linux user can do to use the beta client? could him or couldn't him?

Unfortunately we don't support any other packaging options for Linux. However, you can unpack the .rpm or .deb to get to the files. Installation will be completely manual in this case.

A .deb is really a ar archive containing a few .tar.gzs. So you don't need any special tools to extract on Slackware. Try this:

Code: Select all
ar vx fahclient_7.1.38_Debian-Sarge-32bit-release_i386.deb
tar xzvf data.tar.gz

That will extract everything in the current directory but organized in system folders. E.g. FAHClient will be in $PWD/usr/bin/. You could then manually install the binaries to /usr/local/bin. You might also want to install a start up script. It's been many years since I used Slackware and I don't remember if it uses init.d scripts but if it does you may be able use the one provided to autostart the client at boot.

OK, finally this morning I could download a tar.bz2 archive, a rpm package and also a deb one of the last FAH client beta.. and in fact I did what jcoffland was just suggesting in the meanwhile.. I knew how to unpack a deb or "install" a binary archive: I would like to knew why they released both of..
Anyway.. my last question, that's a promise.. :) Why into the tar.bz2 is there the entire FAHControl-7.1.38.tar.gz archive (containing themes, libs for gtk and a .desktop fil for the menu) while into the deb and into the rpm package there is only the FAHControl binary? As yoo could easily see, in fact, the tar.bz2 and the deb - for example - package, are very very different regarding their file size..
brainvision

Postby jcoffland » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:51 pm

@brainvision The .tar.gz releases are not supported or well maintained. They just got copied over from the internal testing release, for which they are just a fallback in case the installers/packages fail.
jcoffland
Pande Group Member

Postby codysluder » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:31 am

is this the right place to report timeout data which is missing from the status screen? I'm running project 6052 from 171.64.65.54. I know Kasson has been having trouble with that server, so maybe that's related.
codysluder

Postby Hyperlife » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:44 am

jcoffland wrote:@brainvision The .tar.gz releases are not supported or well maintained. They just got copied over from the internal testing release, for which they are just a fallback in case the installers/packages fail.

FWIW, I prefer the .tar.gz releases on my headless rigs. I can simply untar the archive and run FAHClient from the command line, then monitor it with FAHControl from another computer.
Hyperlife

PreviousNext

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux