FAHClient V7.1.38 released (4th Open-Beta)

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Re: FAHClient V7.1.38 released (4th Open-Beta)

Postby brainvision » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:41 am

Hello again everybody.. :)

I spent the last 2 days making some test on my laptop (and setting up my first desktop PC for folding, now I'm only missing a second desktop, but soon I'll start folding even on it) and I noticed that, IMO, SMP folding is working even for linux 32 bit OS!!
In fact, I first config the FAHClient wit the option for SMP enabled and I saw that all my 4 cpu (I got an i3 processor) were every moment at 100%!!
Then I exit and delete all the FAH folder, than I edit again the sample-config with no option for the fo9lding slot section and I saved it to config.xml, this time.. So I start the client again, i waited for the core to be downloaded and then I discovered that this time only 1 cpu was working at 100%!!

I think that this is the proof that the SMP works even on 32 bit OS, isn't that? Did I miss something, maybe?
brainvision

Postby PantherX » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:58 pm

brainvision wrote:...I think that this is the proof that the SMP works even on 32 bit OS, isn't that? Did I miss something, maybe?
My guess is that when you view the process in Top, it would be FahCore_a4. Can you please verify if that's the case or not?

I have some ideas as to how it might be possible but am awaiting for an official answer (which may take time).
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby brainvision » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:47 pm

PantherX wrote:
brainvision wrote:...I think that this is the proof that the SMP works even on 32 bit OS, isn't that? Did I miss something, maybe?
My guess is that when you view the process in Top, it would be FahCore_a4. Can you please verify if that's the case or not?

I have some ideas as to how it might be possible but am awaiting for an official answer (which may take time).

yes sure, it is.. I didn't specify that only because I said it into my other 3d.. sorry..
while, otherwise, editing the config file for the uniprocessor folding, it use the Core_78..
brainvision

Postby MaRmoTTe44240 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi,

Why no Windows 64Bits client :?:

Installed fahclient_7.1.38_Windows-2008-64bit-release.exe, but .exe are not 64Bits executables.
MaRmoTTe44240

Postby bruce » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:44 am

There is very, very little benefit to having a 64-bit client. The client has a relatively small RAM footprint and doesn't use much CPU time, at all. It does start various FahCores to to the analysis and they're the ones that do most of the processing. Moreover, some cores need access to more RAM than can be handled by a 32-bit FahCore. Certain FahCores are compiled as 64-bit where it's needed and they can be invoked by the 32-bit client.
bruce

Postby Athlonite » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:56 am

is there any reason why this version fahclient_7.1.38_Windows-2008-64bit-release.exe wouldn't work with windows 7 x64
Asus Strix X470F Gaming
AMD R7 3700
16GB GSkill trident Z DDR4-3200
Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SATA SSD
Gigabyte RX580 8GB
Athlonite

Postby Jesse_V » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:03 am

Athlonite wrote:is there any reason why this version fahclient_7.1.38_Windows-2008-64bit-release.exe wouldn't work with windows 7 x64

What do you mean "won't work"? Hmm I see only a "fahclient_7.1.38_Windows-XP-32bit-release.exe" so I'm curious as to how you got that. Are you on this page: https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/F ... etaRelease Before you ask, don't worry too much about the name, the "fahclient_7.1.38_Windows-XP-32bit-release.exe" works on Windows 7 despite it saying XP, and there's no real significance between the 64 bit and the 32 bit versions since the fahcores do all the calculations anyway and v7 will download either the 64 bit or 32 bit version as needed.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Postby PantherX » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:23 am

Jesse_V -> The actual link that Athlonite is talking about is this one (https://fah-web.stanford.edu/file-relea ... fahclient/) which is under Previous Releases on the Download page.
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby Athlonite » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:20 pm

Jesse_V wrote:
Athlonite wrote:is there any reason why this version fahclient_7.1.38_Windows-2008-64bit-release.exe wouldn't work with windows 7 x64

What do you mean "won't work"? Hmm I see only a "fahclient_7.1.38_Windows-XP-32bit-release.exe" so I'm curious as to how you got that. Are you on this page: https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/F ... etaRelease Before you ask, don't worry too much about the name, the "fahclient_7.1.38_Windows-XP-32bit-release.exe" works on Windows 7 despite it saying XP, and there's no real significance between the 64 bit and the 32 bit versions since the fahcores do all the calculations anyway and v7 will download either the 64 bit or 32 bit version as needed.

I didn't mean wont work I was asking if it would or wouldn't work IF it will work then I might just D/L it and give it a bash
Athlonite

Postby bruce » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:37 pm

Athlonite wrote:I didn't mean wont work I was asking if it would or wouldn't work IF it will work then I might just D/L it and give it a bash

The programs are named based on the minimum requirements. (Don't let that scare you off.) The 32-bit windows client will work on 64-bit windows. Programs which have been tested on WindowXP have also been tested on later versions of Windows. It may not work on OLDER versions of Windows.

I personally have it running on XP, Vista, and 7 as well as 32-bit and 64-bit (plus some Linux and OS-X) and have found no significant limitations [...except that the Viewer is still somewhat limited by the VGA/GPU and their associated drivers].
bruce

Postby LintMan » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:36 am

Hello, I'm new to F@H and am trying to get the V7.1.38 Control working. On my first system, I got it up and running quickly, but on my other PC, it constantly flashes between "offline" and "Connecting" and never gets to "Online". I tried uninstalling/reinstalling, but no luck. I am able to run the FAH GPU Tracker V2 software OK from this system.

I'm not sure what the problem might be. Both systems are pretty similarly set up. (Win 7, same router, same firewall software).

Any ideas?

Thanks!
LintMan

Postby Jesse_V » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:07 am

LintMan wrote:Hello, I'm new to F@H and am trying to get the V7.1.38 Control working. On my first system, I got it up and running quickly, but on my other PC, it constantly flashes between "offline" and "Connecting" and never gets to "Online". I tried uninstalling/reinstalling, but no luck. I am able to run the FAH GPU Tracker V2 software OK from this system.

I'm not sure what the problem might be. Both systems are pretty similarly set up. (Win 7, same router, same firewall software).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi Lintman, welcome to the F@h support forum.

I have experienced a similar thing to this, but in my case it's under my control. I can cause this to happen if I uncheck "Autostart" under the Local Client section of the Preferences control window. But I can make it go by clicking Fold and by making sure Autostart is checked. To further diagnose this issue, we're going to need more information, like the log or any further details of what you did and/or how we can reproduce this issue. If you do post your log, please do so between Code tags, which you can find under the Full Editor button.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Postby bruce » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:09 am

When you installed V7.1.38, did you accept the defaults or, if you changed some of the defaults, which ones?
bruce

Postby LintMan » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:42 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. It's running now - the problem was the Autostart box was unchecked as Jesse_V mentioned. I didn't turn off that from the in-program options, but if it's an installation option, I might have unchecked it there thinking it was a "autorun on bootup" thing.

About the logs, for future reference - I looked in the install and data dirs for some sort of log, but didn't see anything. What is the file name/path for them?

Thanks, everyone!
LintMan

Postby Zagen30 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:01 am

The current log by default should be in /[user]/AppData/Roaming/FAHClient/, called just "log"; this is the directory you're sent to if you select Data Directory in Start/FAHClient. Every time the client is restarted, the current log is archived in the "logs" directory in the aforementioned location, and are called "log-xxxxyyzz-aabbcc". xxxxyyzz is year/month/date, don't remember what aabbcc is.
Last edited by Zagen30 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zagen30

PreviousNext

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux