OS-X: uninstall older client - install beta 7

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

OS-X: uninstall older client - install beta 7

Postby finrod » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:45 am

my "old" 6.29.3 client isn't working anymore, after reading some posts in this forum I've discovered I need a newer version, and I've download the 7.1.38 beta. However the one installed is "embedded" (?) in the preference pane, while version 7 is to be copied in the Applications folder. How do I uninstall the older before installing the new client? All this on a late 2009 Mac Mini and Snow Leopard.
finrod

Re: uninstall older client - install beta 7

Postby Joe_H » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:11 pm

You do not need to uninstall the 6.29 version to install the Beta 7 FAHClient and Control. The app and support files are stored in different locations, so as long as you disable the version 6 with the control panel it will not interfere with running version 7.

If you still want to uninstall the version 6 app, you need to use the Terminal. Run Terminal from the Utilities folder and enter the following commands:

cd /usr/local/fah
./uninstall.sh

You will be prompted for your password, the script should remove the component files. That leaves the work directories, remove the Folding@home folder from the Library folder in the account you use to fold to complete the uninstall.

In the past the V7 beta on OS X did not start with a configuration file when first run, so the first WU it downloads will not be done with your name, team and passkey. That results in just getting base credit for the first WU. I have not checked the most recent test version from a fresh install to see if that is still the case. If you want to avoid that you can do so by doing the following:

In the Library folder of the account you are using to fold, create a folder named FAHClient in the Application Support folder.

Then create a file named config.xml using TextEdit with the following:

Code: Select all
<config>
  <!-- Network -->
  <proxy v=':8080'/>

<!-- User Information -->
  <passkey v='passkey'/>
  <team v='team number'/>
  <user v='user'/>

</config>

and place it in the FAHClient folder. Enter your own information between the single quotes and leave them in the file, they are part of the config file.

Then when you run the Folding@home Client you installed by dragging to the Applications folder, Folding will start up with those pre-configured. The rest should auto-configure. There are more details on setup in the forum for the V7 Beta. One note, you can minimize the screen for FAHControl while running, but closing it will stop folding immediately.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby finrod » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:51 pm

dear Joe_H, thanks for the detailed explanation. I've uninstalled version 6 with your commands, then created a FAHClient folder and the config.xml file... however version 7 didn't pick my Username from the file (?) but I've apparently been able to insert my User clicking on the "configure" button... so far it seems working, still on 0% but I'll check again later (window minimized only), if there's any more problem I'll ask in the Beta forum :-)
finrod

Postby Joe_H » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:23 am

Sorry it did not work out completely. The v.7 client does at least keep a folder of the most recent revisions of the config file in the FAHClient folder, so if you do make an error doing the setup you can roll back to a previous one. I'll have to look over the steps I gave you and see if I missed a detail and use that the next time. Good luck folding.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby supersimon56 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:49 pm

Does beta 7 run on Leopard (10.5) or does it run only on Snow Leopard (10.6)?
supersimon56

Postby PantherX » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:05 pm

supersimon56 wrote:Does beta 7 run on Leopard (10.5) or does it run only on Snow Leopard (10.6)?
Welcome to the F@H Forum supersimon56,

As far as I know, any version above 10.6 (inclusive) can run the V7 Beta.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby bruce » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:23 pm

Welcome to foldingforum.org, supersimon56.

supersimon56 wrote:Does beta 7 run on Leopard (10.5) or does it run only on Snow Leopard (10.6)?

The issue was discussed in Ticket #572 and was reportedly fixed. I don't remember any reports of problems, but since V7 is still beta, anything can happen. We'd appreciate any report that you can make if you test it.
bruce

Postby supersimon56 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:34 pm

I have downloaded the beta and installed it on my machine, and I immediately get the message reading "The application FAHClient quit unexpectedly." Of course, I try to relaunch, and no luck. Any ideas? Either im not finding the info I need in the FAQs, or I am not looking in the right place. Below is the report of the problem details, hopefully it will be of help.

Process: FAHClient [3385]
Path: /Applications/Folding@home Client.app/Contents/MacOS/FAHClient
Identifier: FAHClient
Version: ??? (???)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: FAHControl [3289]

Interval Since Last Report: 6387 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 2
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 0 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 2

Date/Time: 2011-12-10 09:30:14.155 -0600
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
Report Version: 6
Anonymous UUID: EBA504D9-C86D-4D83-BF59-6E7C9AF59574

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
unknown required load command 0x80000022

Running OSX 10.5.8
2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB RAM
supersimon56

Postby Joe_H » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:26 pm

That could indicate the fix mentioned in ticket bruce linked to has not made it to the current version of the public beta. Best place to ask would be in the V7 beta forum. Fortunately you do not need to uninstall the version 6 folding client to install V7, so you should be able to continue folding using that.

As for compatibility, I upgraded my MacBook at the. end of the Summer to 10.6 partly to fold using the V7 beta as a test before going to it on my i7 iMac based on the early reports of the ticket. So I have not tested v7 under 10.5. Over the coming month I may reload my backup to an external drive and give it a test to see if there are problems I can report. Though since my MacBook is running a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo it won't be exactly the same test platform.

P.S. To any reading this thread from the beginning, it appears the -advmethods parameter is needed with the version 6 client to successfully get WU's assigned on a regular basis. I thought all of the units were out of advanced status, but someone with better understanding/access to the reports would need to look at that. Currently 6.29 on the Mac appears to only be compatible with WU's assigned from Projects 6026-6080 from one work server, but there are thousands waiting to be folded for now. Version 7 is still only compatible with those core A3 units since a core update is needed for other A3 ones, but does open up use with a number of core A4 WU's and servers.

P.P.S I see mod has linked this to the V7 beta forum.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:07 pm

Joe_H wrote:That could indicate the fix mentioned in ticket bruce linked to has not made it to the current version of the public beta. Best place to ask would be in the V7 beta forum. Fortunately you do not need to uninstall the version 6 folding client to install V7, so you should be able to continue folding using that.

Ticket #572 has not been fixed yet. According to the ticket, a fix is planned for the milestone called "Open Beta Phase 2" which is still some time in the future. I think it said it was fixed when I looked before but perhaps they've discovered the fix didn't work correctly.
bruce

Re: OS-X: uninstall older client - install beta 7

Postby Joe_H » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:30 pm

Okay then, post when that happens and I'll be happy to do a test on my old backup.

Reading the ticket, I would suggest a target of OS X 10.5 for Intel. Few of the Intel Mac's sold with 10.4 would still be running that, most upgraded to 10.5 as it provided many significant improvements for them. 10.4 on them was a stopgap measure, not even released for retail sale separately. Any Mac sold since late 2007 either had 10.5 or could get a free upgrade to it.

Edit: Add link to list of original OS supplied with various Mac models - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby supersimon56 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:03 pm

Joe_H wrote: To any reading this thread from the beginning, it appears the -advmethods parameter is needed with the version 6 client to successfully get WU's assigned on a regular basis. I thought all of the units were out of advanced status, but someone with better understanding/access to the reports would need to look at that. Currently 6.29 on the Mac appears to only be compatible with WU's assigned from Projects 6026-6080 from one work server, but there are thousands waiting to be folded for now. Version 7 is still only compatible with those core A3 units since a core update is needed for other A3 ones, but does open up use with a number of core A4 WU's and servers.

Forgive me if I seem dense, but I'm still getting used to all the folding lingo... does that mean that 6.29 is receiving work units again? Because the last time I used it (almost a month ago I'm guessing) it was apparently out of work units - or not able to receive the new ones for whatever reason - according to posts I found elsewhere.

Thanks for all of the help and advice on this thread!
supersimon56

Postby Jesse_V » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:30 pm

I see no reason why v6 clients should be out of work. The -advmethods flag simply serves to indicate that you want WUs that aren't as stable as normal. WUs go through internal testing, beta testing, and -advmethods before being finally released. I'm running v7 so I can't confirm, but v6 should be doing fine. Idk why they weren't available for you, but the client (unless its severely out-dated) should have little to do with it.
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Postby Joe_H » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:55 pm

To sum up, 6.29 and OS X never actually stopped getting WU's. There was a short supply for a while around the end of October partly due to an increased demand for regular SMP when the bigadv work availability decreased. I was running with -advmethods or its V7 advanced equivalent and sometimes had to wait a short time to get a new one. Apparently those not using those parameters did see long periods without work. In the last few weeks much more work has shown as being available on the one server I mentioned with 6026-6080, 171.64.65.54, but persons still reported not getting work. Those I have given the recommendation to add -advmethods to version 6.29 have let me know that did get them work. Others have taken the choice to go to V7. Similar reports have been posted by others that I have read here and elsewhere.

To reply to what Jesse_V posted while I was writing, PC and Linux folders were able to go to 6.34 and later versions. OS X development of version 6 stopped with 6.29. The later versions bring in support for using the A4 core, V7 is needed to use it with OS X. There is also a later version of the A3 core available to PC and Linux folders, that is still not available in public release for OS X. So other servers with core A3 work are not available to OS X under either 6.29 or V7 yet.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux