#812 folding home beta 7 inaccessible to the blind

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Re: #812 folding home beta 7 inaccessible to the blind

Postby whocrazy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:43 am

humph. seems like I was wasting my time with the chrome extension then, so as of now, Advanced controls have to be edited manually as there is no accessible replacement for fah control. I wish the advanced control option from the system tray also used a web interface.
Someone remarked to me the other day that accessibility is not getting better, it's getting worse, and quite frankly, it seems he's right. More and more windows programs seem to be gravitating toward GTK, which I hate with a passion. Sorry if it sounds like I'm whinging but it's been nearly 3 years since I've raised this issue and apart from the basic options set out in the web control, nothing has been done to fix it.
whocrazy

Postby 7im » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:56 pm

Would running v7 from a command line work with a screen reader?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby bruce » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:29 pm

7im wrote:Would running v7 from a command line work with a screen reader?

Yes, and running a screen-reader-compatible telnet client would, too. It would mean more typing and learning some commands, but it would work.
bruce

Postby whocrazy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:46 am

with v7, can I do things like configure small, normal or big work units like you can with v6?
Which projects only run on v7 and not any previous version?
Thanks.
whocrazy

Postby P5-133XL » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:19 am

Yes, you can configure for small, normal and big WU's in v7. Doing so will limit the projects you can get but that is the whole purpose of using those options. the problem using them is that there are few new projects using anything but big (SMP is inherently big). Those options are also irrelevant to GPU slots.

The only WU's that only runs in v7, that I know of, are Core_17 GPU projects. That is the only new core post v6. The potential problem with v6 is that not all assignment servers used by v7 are recognized and at some point that may become an issue getting WU's. It is already a problem for v6.23 or earlier so that the current minimum version is v6.34+. Since the assignment servers differ between v6 and v7, there is undoubtedly a difference in which projects typically get assigned because they will likely point to different work servers.
P5-133XL

Postby bruce » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:07 pm

BTW, "small" was invented when a uniprocessor system typically had 256K or maybe half a MB of RAM and modems worked at 56KB or less. I'm not even sure the PG still classifies projects that happen to fall into those ranges.
bruce

Postby whocrazy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:29 am

Yes, I can use fah-client console with a screen reader, but I am unable to use fah-control to change advanced options. That's why I wanted to know if I could still use v6. If v6 work units will soon no longer be available, that would make configuring FAH really difficult without sighted assistance.
GTK is evil and the telnet interface is too tricky to navigate.
If you really must use a custom gui display, then try using the QT interface from trolltech. It has an addon to make applications more accessible.
whocrazy

Postby 7im » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:31 am

Everything in Advanced Control is also available from the command line. Controlling the client is also available through telnet.

This is your only option.
7im

Postby P5-133XL » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:46 am

I suspect, that it still will be years that v6 will stop running but referring to it as soon probably underestimates the time.

I am not positive about this in that I have never tried it and it is not in the documentation, but using v7 you may be able set the WU size to small, normal, or big by appending --max-packet-size=small/normal/big to the target line of the shortcut that starts folding. I know you can do this with other client options like client-type so I am merely extrapolating the capability to include the max-packet-size client option.
P5-133XL

Postby whocrazy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:07 am

Also, I'm having a problem where an option doesn't get saved in config.xml. Through sighted assistance I managed to access fah-control, He clicked configure, then expert, and it showed a command that I had issued to fah-client on the command line. Next-unit-percentage. He try changing the value then clicked on save, and then I look at the config.xml, the new option isn't there. Is this a bug?
whocrazy

Postby PantherX » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:40 pm

What version of V7 were you using? Depending on the version, the change will be saved immediately or after a few seconds. Moreover, what value did you use for next-unit-percentage? If the value used is 99, then it will not be present in the config.xml since it is the default value. Do note that none of the default values are saved in config.xml, only those values which are changed from the default and are valid, are saved. Invalid options are usually discarded.

If you could share your system configuration and how you would like to configure F@H, a config.xml file could be created for you (if you have a passkey, then it would be done via a Private Message since passkeys aren't posted in the public) which you can use.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby 7im » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:11 pm

Using the command line client in V7 fully supports the use of a configuration file.

Please note the documentation for the command line is fahclient.exe --help
7im

Postby bruce » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:06 pm

Please note that a number of sighted donors choose to avoid the GUI for various reasons. I strongly recommend that you learn to use the telnet interface since EVERTYHING that can be done by FAHControl passes through that text-based interface.

The command-line parameters are generally used for one-time modifications for a single execution of FAHClient. Like I implied above, commands (and queries) passed through the telnet interface are ideal for normal operation and long-term changes.
bruce

Previous

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux