#812 folding home beta 7 inaccessible to the blind

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: #812 folding home beta 7 inaccessible to the blind

Postby k1wi » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:36 am

Great to see it accepted and thank you whocrazy for raising the issue. As someone who doesn't need to use text to speech software I would never have thought that this was an issue. The F@H concept is to me all about inclusiveness and bringing users inside the tent after all and accessibility is key to this. :)
k1wi

Postby Stonecold » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:43 am

There might be an OCR text-to-speech software that you could use. It might not be as accurate, but it should be able to read text that has been rendered into graphics.
Stonecold

Postby whocrazy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:29 am

Hi there
I am aware that there was a 3rd party utility that did what fah-controller now does. Do you know if this tool is still being developed? I think I downloaded it and had a look at it a few years back, if so, perhaps I should use it instead of worrying about trying to learn telnet commands.
whocrazy

Postby bruce » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:16 am

There are several 3rd party tools that are being developed (or re-written to accommodate V7's changes) that will contain similar features to FAHControl. The necessary rewrite is challenging but it's clear that progress is being made. The discussions and progress reports can be found in the developers forum: viewforum.php?f=69

Because it's still being developed, FAHClient is still a bit of a moving target to some degree though changes which modify the telnet API are becoming less frequent.
bruce

Postby whocrazy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi again.
No no, I meant for version 6. Is there a utility that I can download for the fah version 6 client that does what fah control does in version 7? IE, allow you to select your configuration with menus and buttons etc.
whocrazy

Postby bruce » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:18 am

For V6, third party programs are limited to monitoring the progress of V6 WUs; V6 cannot be controlled by an external program. V6 is fundamentally build around a set of command-line flags that can be set when the client is started and then the client continues to run as a batch program with no inputs from you. The systray client has a limited ability to change some settings dynamically but nothing approaching what the V7 FAHClient can do under the tutelage of FAHControl.
bruce

Postby whocrazy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:48 am

dang, what a shame. I've done a little research and it seems as if ATK is mainly for operation on Linux rather than windows, there might be a windows version but I don't know, if there is, it probably isn't up to the same standard as linux.
whocrazy

Postby smoking2000 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:45 pm

And to make matters worse, with the new GNOME 3 they broke most of the accessibility support from GNOME 2. I watched the LCA talk by Karen Sandler of the GNOME foundation in which she described this (somewhere in the last 30 minutes of the talk), so getting accessibility support in FAHControl may take some time for the GTK3 libraries to get on par with their GTK2 counterparts.
smoking2000

Postby whocrazy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:48 am

Perhaps the developers could work on a separate version of fah-control for vision impaired users. It could be included either in the instalation or as an "add-on" or optional download on the Beta fah download page. Just install it and it will replace the gtk version of fah-control with the plain windows interface version.
You dont need to do anything fancy to make it blind friendly. Just don't use QT or GTK. Version 6 of the systray client uses a normal windows interface with standard buttons, checkboxes and tabs, just design a fah-control program with the interface of version 6 systray client.
btw: are there any projects that can only be done with v7?
Thanks.
whocrazy

Postby Stonecold » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:58 am

whocrazy wrote:btw: are there any projects that can only be done with v7?

I don't think so, not for SMP WUs at least. FAHControl v7 is just a user interface, and the client only serves to start up the actual core and communicate with it to some extenmattt. The thing that matters most when it comes to WU compatibility is hardware configuration. Software is also important, especially in the case of drivers. As far as I know, WUs complete just as fast with v7 as with other versions (I'm not sure of that though), so it doesn't really matter that much. I'm sure there are some cores that are unstable and malfunction often that can benefit from the v7 client because it corrects some of these errors (e.g. v7 added FAHCoreWrapper, which helps softly shut down cores that won't quit on their own, thus preventing the client from having to kill the process, which could cause data loss).
Last edited by Stonecold on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stonecold

Postby 7im » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:13 am

Yes, the are some projects that can only be done with V7. Currently, on the V7 client supports fahcore_16 for the new ATI GPUs. There may be more...
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby whocrazy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:56 pm

Just to reiterate what I said earlier, Perhaps the developers could work on a separate version of fah-control for vision impaired users. It could be included either in the instalation or as an
"add-on" or optional download on the Beta fah download page. Just install it and it will replace the gtk version of fah-control with the plain windows
interface version.
You dont need to do anything fancy to make it blind friendly. Just don't use QT or GTK. Version 6 of the systray client uses a normal windows interface
with standard buttons, checkboxes and tabs, just design a fah-control program with the interface of version 6 systray client, but of course with the added options of v7 beta. Is there anyone out there who can work on this?
Thanks.
whocrazy

Postby darkbasic » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:24 pm

They made it in GTK because they wanted to avoid having to make a different client for each platform, a more viable solution would be fixing atk for windows.
darkbasic

Postby PantherX » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:13 pm

whocrazy wrote:...Is there anyone out there who can work on this?...
From what I have read, it seems that any developer can create a FAHControl replacement by using the API. However, if you mean that PG Developers invest time in this endeavour, then I am afraid that isn't possible since there is no plan to continue development of v6 Clients. Since there is limited developer resources, it is all being directed towards V7 as it the future of F@H. Do note that currently, we have a single developer for V7 and there are some high priority bugs that needs to be fixed so in the big picture, this feature is a low priority one.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby MtM » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:25 pm

whocrazy wrote:Just to reiterate what I said earlier, Perhaps the developers could work on a separate version of fah-control for vision impaired users. It could be included either in the instalation or as an
"add-on" or optional download on the Beta fah download page. Just install it and it will replace the gtk version of fah-control with the plain windows
interface version.
You dont need to do anything fancy to make it blind friendly. Just don't use QT or GTK. Version 6 of the systray client uses a normal windows interface
with standard buttons, checkboxes and tabs, just design a fah-control program with the interface of version 6 systray client, but of course with the added options of v7 beta. Is there anyone out there who can work on this?
Thanks.

If the installer isn't an issue and the thing you're asking for is an replacement for FAHControl allowing monitoring and managing of the client then as others said you have to wait for 3rd party. There are several people working on this, myself included. I was aiming to release a replacement this month but I will not make that self imposed deadline and won't set a new one as I'm not able to tell.

Besides myself I can point to Harlam357's HFM.net and Smoking2000's FCI, but afaik neither has released a full replacement allowing both monitoring and control. Keep an eye on the 3rd party forum section to keep track of those developments.
MtM

PreviousNext

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux