#812 folding home beta 7 inaccessible to the blind

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Re: #812 folding home beta 7 inaccessible to the blind

Postby whocrazy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:56 am

ok,so now folding@home v7 is out, I can no longer access it or contribute to folding@home, and there are some projects that can only be done with v7. The ticket on accessibility hasn't been updated for about 6 months either, so there will be no more folding home for me for the foreseeable future.
That is unless there is a 3rd party tool I can use in place of fah control. I've been out of the loop for a while. is there a tool or 3rd party bit of software I can use in place of FAH control?
Thanks.
whocrazy

Postby k1wi » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:39 am

Hi whocrazy,

Is the most recent version of v6, (v6.34) accessible? If so there is no reason why you can't use it still. There are some new projects that can only be done with v7, but there are still a lot of old and new projects that can be run on v6.34. I am sure that folding@home would prefer you continue to fold on the old client than not fold at all!
k1wi

Postby whocrazy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:32 am

Hi there.
I download the latest folding@home, and I like the new web control.
However, it only lets me control the bear essentials, I was wondering if it was possible to make folding home's web control change advanced settings like the fah GUI control does?
Thanks.
whocrazy

Postby Jesse_V » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:37 pm

Welcome back whocrazy.
The new Web Control is designed to have basic, high-level controls that make it easy and simple for anyone (especially newcomers) to use the F@h software. I am really glad to hear that it works for your screen reader.

Increasing the accessibility level of FAHControl is likely not trivial, and I haven't heard of any updates on that ticket. What advanced controls are you interested in using?

Also, can the Jaws software read out a Java GUI?
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Postby bruce » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:21 pm

whocrazy wrote:Hi there.
I download the latest folding@home, and I like the new web control.
However, it only lets me control the bear essentials, I was wondering if it was possible to make folding home's web control change advanced settings like the fah GUI control does?
Thanks.

Is it possible? Of course. Is it likely? No.

As Jesse_V has said, Web Control is designed for absolute simplicity. Anything that's added to it makes it more complex and therefore less likely to meet its design goals of attracting people who will only fold if it's extremely easy do do. FAHControl is designed for control of every feature where complexity is not expected, and while it lacks support for the screen reader, I'm afraid that's the only option that's likely to help (except maybe an alternative front-end if some 3rd party decides to write one aimed specifically at a target audience that includes you).
bruce

Postby Napoleon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Some finer grained controls are accessible via FahClient's telnet interface. A free utility like PuTTY accepts script files from command line. Actually, one can control quite a number of things with the Client Remote Interface. Pausing/unpausing/finishing individual slots leaps to mind as an example. There are some examples of such scripts posted here already, but the ones I found were for the Linux client.

Whocrazy, If you're not familiar with the remote interface but have some specific controls in mind... perhaps one of us could write some simple PuTTY/telnet scripts for you. Then again, I'm unsure if that kind of controls would be useful to you. Let us know what you think.
Win7 64bit, FAH v7, OC'd
2C/4T Atom330 3x667MHz - GT430 2x832.5MHz - ION iGPU 3x466.7MHz
NaCl - Core_15 - display
Napoleon

Postby whocrazy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:40 pm

Yes jaws and NVDA can use a java GUI, so long as the program uses the swing classes, that's what I've been told anyhow.
regarding having the advanced controls accessible, perhaps with the web control, you could create 2 modes, beginner mode for people new to folding@home and advanced mode for the hardcore folding@home user.
whocrazy

Postby k1wi » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:47 pm

whocrazy wrote:Yes jaws and NVDA can use a java GUI, so long as the program uses the swing classes, that's what I've been told anyhow.
regarding having the advanced controls accessible, perhaps with the web control, you could create 2 modes, beginner mode for people new to folding@home and advanced mode for the hardcore folding@home user.
I believe that their intention is to have web control = basic and fahcontrol = advanced/hardcore.

Unfortunately adding a hard core option to webcontrol does effectively add an additional layer of complexity, which I guess they would argue is not justifiable (and to a degree defeats the purpose of the current differentiation).
k1wi

Postby whocrazy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:56 pm

No, I meant having the advanced control use a web interface rather than that horrible clunky GTK interface. As far as I'm aware, GTK can only be made accessible under linux, not windows.
whocrazy

Postby whocrazy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:20 am

Hello there.
Has anything been done to make folding@home more accessible to screen readers? if not, has anyone made a 3rd party program to run in windows where I can access all of folding@home's configuration options?
Thanks.
whocrazy

Postby 7im » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:23 pm

Nothing to that affect has been announced on the fah news blag page, so the answer is no.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby P5-133XL » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:44 pm

I do not know, but the NaCl client may be more accessible to screen readers since it is basically just a browser app for Google Chrome.
P5-133XL

Postby bruce » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:30 pm

Welcome back, whocrazy. Do try the NaCl client in a Chrome browser as recommended just above this post. Let us know what parts your screen-reader interprets correctly.

There are really no optional settings and no installation, so it'll either run or it won't with minimal effort.
bruce

Postby whocrazy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:27 am

will it let me change all the advanced settings like fah control or is it just meant to be like the basic fah built in web control? I took a quick look at chrome and I download the FAH extension. Chrome still doesn't work very well with screen readers I'm sad to say.
whocrazy

Postby PantherX » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:56 am

Please note that there aren't any advanced control for the Chrome Folding App. Once installed, you start the Folding App and it will start folding WUs. You can optionally add your username, team number and passkey if you want. The only setting that you can change is the Folding Power which has three levels:
Light -> Uses about 20% of your CPU.
Medium -> Uses about 50% of your CPU. This is the default.
Full -> Uses about 100% of your CPU.

As long as you have an active internet connection, you will be folding WUs. To stop folding, you can click the Stop Folding button or attempt to close the tab/browser. If you choose to close the tab/browser, you will get a pop-up box informing you that if you choose to close now, you will loose the current WU. Alternatively, you can choose to stay on the page to finish the WU and once finished, it will automatically stop folding so you can close the tab/browser without loosing any WUs.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux