V7 FAHClient for PowerPC under AIX

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

V7 FAHClient for PowerPC under AIX

Postby Ykw » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:09 pm

Is there any open beta for PowerPC architecture? Can you provide source code for compilation in AIX? I can volunteer for tester in AIX systems if you are interested in it.
Regards
Ykw

Re: V7 FAHClient for PowerPC under AIX

Postby MtM » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:47 pm

PowerPC is a discontinued platform, not that interesting to pour lots of developers time into it for the returns it would give. There are still working clients for PPC on the download pages though -? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadOld
MtM

Postby bruce » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:06 pm

There has never been a FAH client for native AIX and I predict one will never be developed. The PowerPC was only supported on MacOS before they migrated to the x86 platform.
bruce

Postby Ykw » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:18 pm

Yes, I understand it has never been (nor it will ever be) "supported", but it could be "open" to free-lance developers. Even if the work units wont be "usefull"... I think that without a client no one knows "how deep the hole can be"... I simply think it is at least a challenge and will act as a "we can also do it" (even if we don't) for PPC general systems (AIX, RHEL, SUSE or any other UNIX systems over power).

I am not asking for a client.... I mas just pointing out that if I get able to compile/execute the code and test it over PPC (not with OSx though), then I would be fine with it.. and I would share it with you as Proof of concept.
This will also increase the popularity of future interactions between PPC and FAH, and maybe we can start seeing something of value here.
Ykw

Postby bruce » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:38 pm

FAH software is not open-source, and I think I can safely predict that the science code will not be released.

V7 consists of three components (plus a fourth set of FAHCores), a client, a monitor/control component, and a viewer. The source for the monitor/control componenet will probably be released but the source for the client and for the FahCores will not be, so a 3rd party could develop a monitoring and/or control program for AIX but the actual folding would have to happen on a supported platform based on x86 hardware, whether that's on Windows, Linux, or MacOS.
bruce

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux