FAHClient V7.1.52 released (1st Public-Release)

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

FAHClient V7.1.52 released (1st Public-Release)

Postby jcoffland » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:39 am

Beta Testers,

This release just has a few of minor fixes. We plan to publish this to the front page in the next couple of days.

Documentation
Installation and user guides can be found here:
FAHControl -> The Graphical User Interface (GUI) what controls the Slots.
FAHViewer -> It shows the protein being folded, if applicable.
Pictorial Installation Guide (Windows) -> A detailed pictorial guide on the V7 installation.
Installation Guide (Windows) -> A brief guide on Windows installation.
Installation Guide (Linux) -> A guide for Linux installation.
Installation Guide (OSX) -> A guide for OSX installation that is in progress.
Client Remote Interface -> Documentation for 3rd party developers.
Main Page -> Main page of the V7.

Getting Help
Aside from the documentation the best place to get help is in this forum. If you do have a problem post a message. There are many knowledgeable people ready and willing to help. Keep in mind, we greatly appreciate thorough reports delivered by patient people who can keep a cool head even when things go wrong.

Bugs/Tickets
Open Tickets Ordered by Milestone and Priority
Active Tickets by Change Time
Note: Some tickets may be closed because they are fixed in an upcoming alpha release but are not yet fixed in the beta release.

Change Logs:
FAHClient:
v7.1.52:
  • Account for ',' as decimal point in some locales. #849.

v7.1.51:
  • Allow parsing GPUs.txt with Windows CRLF line endings.
  • Allow setting GPU type and species from GPUs.txt.

FAHControl:
v7.1.52:
  • Select 'Identity' tab by default. #851

FAHViewer:
v7.1.52:
  • Link statically with libGLEW in .deb packages.

Joseph Coffland
Folding@home Developer
Cauldron Development LLC
Cauldron Development LLC
http://cauldrondevelopment.com/
jcoffland
Pande Group Member

Re: FAHClient V7.1.52 released (1st Public-Beta)

Postby jcoffland » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:42 am

Here is a preview of the new front page: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Main2
jcoffland
Pande Group Member

Postby Jesse_V » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:04 am

Oh wow. That front page is certainly different! I'm certainly impressed by the popup info and whatnot, that's certainly very nice. Hopefully it will still work with mobile browsers and other such limited devices. I'll have to do some testing on that.
If I may make a few suggestions, I notice that the "You can help scientists studying Alzheimer's, ..." paragraph isn't centered just right. I would recommend adjusting the left margin. And shouldn't it be "study" instead of "studying"? Both would be technically correct, except that in my mind "study" directly connects our computations with their research more so than "studying" does. Those Ready, Set, Fold are definitely bold against the white background. Pretty obvious!
But overall I think it looks fantastic, and much better than what was there before. Well done!

EDIT: it does work on my Android's default browser. I did receive a warning about an invalid certificate, just like I used to get on the Trac page. On my computer, when a info popup appears my cursor turns to Win7's busy swirling circle icon thing whenever my mouse goes over any other part of the new page besides the popup. It's a bit weird but maybe there's not a whole lot you can do about that.

EDIT2: It says "(c) 2000-2010 Vijay Pande and Stanford University" at the bottom of the page. Just a guess, but shouldn't it be "2000-2012"?
Also, in the old page, I thought that stating the goal of "understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases" was a fairly defining piece of information, and I'm slightly disappointed to see that it's not on the new page. I think the "... software on your computer or game console." sentence could be followed by "Our goal is to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases" IMO.
Jesse_V

Postby Stonecold » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:30 am

I've successfully installed it on Kubuntu 11.10 and it's folding fine. However, FAHViewer still doesn't work. Same problem as last time on v7.1.50, it just won't start. Not through FAHControl's GUI and not through the applications menu. Other then that it seems to be working perfectly.
Stonecold

Postby GreyWhiskers » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:15 am

Another "30 second" install on my fairly fast Win7 laptop, over a prior v7.1.50 version. It's even up and folding, connected to my two remote v7 computers, before the installer asks to press "finish".

Great job.
GreyWhiskers

Postby snc » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:14 am

Allow setting GPU type and species from GPUs.txt.

What syntax does that "setting GPU type and species" follow? If, for example, id like FAH to recognize this card as Radeon HD 5670, instead of the unsupported FirePro:
0x1002:0x68c8:::FirePro V4800
snc

Postby elrado1 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:21 am

jcoffland wrote:Here is a preview of the new font page: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Main2
I recommend omitting the periods after "READY" "SET" and "FOLD." They are not necessary and are a bit distracting. Thanks.
elrado1

Postby MtM » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:35 pm

Nice, installing now!
MtM

Postby 7im » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:47 pm

snc wrote:

What syntax does that "setting GPU type and species" follow? If, for example, id like FAH to recognize this card as Radeon HD 5670, instead of the unsupported FirePro:

That is not how it works. That file won't make one card look like another. It only works to add newer gpu hardware to the supported list, assuming it meets the project requirements.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby snc » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:58 pm

Well, we sort of could do that before already. Also, the server will not dish out WUs if the GPUs.txt on the server does not include the card in question, so announcing that as a new feature in 7.1.52 would be a waste of time. I doubt that you are correct here...
snc

Postby kotzbrocken2 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:03 pm

7im wrote:
snc wrote:

That is not how it works. That file won't make one card look like another. It only works to add newer gpu hardware to the supported list, assuming it meets the project requirements.

When you will add it to the supported gpus-list? Or do you know a way how to get the FirePro V4800 used for folding?
kotzbrocken2

Postby 7im » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:17 pm

Use the 5670 as a template, then replace the PCI ID with your card's PCI ID. Also update the description. Save that as a new line in the file. Exit the client and restart.

Then add a gpu slot, and post the results.
7im

Postby Jesse_V » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:24 pm

With V7 going front page like this, what's the difference between this and the "Public Milestone"? I guess I was just assuming that "Public Milestone" meant that it was going to be front page, instead of a bit more hidden somehow. Just surprised.

I'm also a bit surprised that V7 would go front page while the GPU cores still have a possibility of causing lag issues. They can do some great science, but I wouldn't want someone's system maxed out because they didn't know what could happen. Is there a message about this in the install screen? SMP and Uniprocessor slots are perfectly fine; its just the auto-installed GPU slot that concerns me a bit. I mean it doesn't cause lag all the time, just occasionally. Still.
Jesse_V

Postby Grandpa_01 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:23 pm

I agree there should be a warning about the GPU if you are going to install it as default. Some of the newer GPU Wu's do have the potential to over tax and possibly damage a highly OCed and inadequately cooled GPU and they will also make your cpu sluggish if a person is unaware of how they run and the problems that might arise there could be some resulting damage. If I was a new folder and installed v7 F@H on my gaming rig which has a ASUS Matrix GTX 580 on it and when it is gaming I run it at an OC of 1000+, if I try to fold at that with the fans set to auto it will hit close to the 100C mark. That is something that a person really should be warned about and be aware of.
2 - SM H8QGi-F AMD 6xxx=112 cores @ 3.2 & 3.9Ghz
5 - SM X9QRI-f+ Intel 4650 = 320 cores @ 3.15Ghz
2 - I7 980X 4.4Ghz 2-GTX680
1 - 2700k 4.4Ghz GTX680
Total = 464 cores folding
Grandpa_01

Postby bruce » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:50 pm

Screen-lag is another problem for those who have not participated in the previous betas. Folks need a clear warning about that, and once it's posted to the main page with the default configuration of GPU=True we'll be getting lots of complaints. You can blame the FAHCore or the driver for problems with GPUs, but it's V7 that's configuring the GPU by default, and that's the real problem for a public release that enables cores and drivers that aren't ready for novices.

The warning needs to be on the download page.
bruce
Site Admin

Next

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux