Help v7 wont let me doing anything else on computer

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Help v7 wont let me doing anything else on computer

Postby Eagle_f90 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:23 am

I never had an issue with running v6 while doing anything else on my computer like surfing the web, programming in Visual Studio 2012, or even playing high end games like Final Fantasy XIV or Diablo III. Now that I have v7 installed I can not even surf the web with out it being boged down (I know it is v7 because I can shut it off and everything works fine). The current configuration is 2 GPU units and 1 SMP unit set to 4 threads. Please help me figure out how to configure v7 to let other programs take any CPU and GPU usage they want.

My system info is this:

CPU: Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.2GHz
CPU ID: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 26 stepping 5
CPUs: 8
Memory: 11.99GiB
Free: 9.10GiB
Threads: WINDOWS_THREADS
On Battery: false
UTC offset: -4
PID: 6268
CWD: C:/Users/Eagle_f90/AppData/Roaming/FAHClient
OS Arch AMD64
CPUS 3
GPU 0: FERMI:1 GF110 [Geforce GTX580]
GPU 2: FERMI:1 GF110 [Geforce GTX580]
GPU 3: UNSUPPORTED: Tage XL (Intel Corporation)
CUDA 2.0
CUDA DRIVER 5000
Win32 Service false
Eagle_f90

Re: Help v7 wont let me doing anything else on computer

Postby bruce » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:41 am

Upgrade to the 301.xx drivers. Did that fix it?

Reconfigure SMP:6 rather than 8. Did that fix it?

Pause GPU folding. Did that fix it?

Depending on your answers, we may have other suggestions.
bruce

Postby Eagle_f90 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:43 am

I am on 3.04 drivers. As stated in my post I set SMP to 4. Pausing GPU folding does fix the issue.
Eagle_f90

Postby Jesse_V » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:10 am

You have two supported GPUs. Pausing is supposed to be a temporary thing. If you choose to disable GPU folding entirely, right click on the offensive GPU slot and click Finish. V7 will finish it's work on the WU but won't download another one, so the WU doesn't have to expire before Then you can go into Configure -> Slots and remove the GPU that causes the lag. I'd guess that the other one could fold without causing lag issues for you.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Postby bruce » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:12 am

Next step: One GPU at a time. Does it matter whether it's folding with the GPU that runs your display or the other one?
bruce

Postby 7im » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:17 am

Please also confirm that Aero is enabled, not disabled.

Also, were you folding on both the CPU (smp) and both GPUs in v6?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby Eagle_f90 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:55 am

7im wrote:Please also confirm that Aero is enabled, not disabled.

Also, were you folding on both the CPU (smp) and both GPUs in v6?

Aero is enabled, I never did GPU folding in v6 and I was not in SMP folding. I can stop the GPU folding and let SMP run and everything is fine. SMP frees resources like it should it is just hte GPU not giving up resorces

Jesse_V wrote:You have two supported GPUs. Pausing is supposed to be a temporary thing. If you choose to disable GPU folding entirely, right click on the offensive GPU slot and click Finish. V7 will finish it's work on the WU but won't download another one, so the WU doesn't have to expire before Then you can go into Configure -> Slots and remove the GPU that causes the lag. I'd guess that the other one could fold without causing lag issues for you.

Ok but why is v7 not freeing resoruces for other programs then? Sure I could kill the GPU folding off entierly and that would fix the problem but I would rather not have to.

bruce wrote:Next step: One GPU at a time. Does it matter whether it's folding with the GPU that runs your display or the other one?

The cards run in SLI so I have no idea which one is running my display, I would image both since I have a tripple monitor setup and as stated above I would rather figure out why the GPU resoruces are not been freed up when other apps need it insead of having to cancel all GPU folding entirly.
Eagle_f90

Postby Zagen30 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:05 am

Eagle_f90 wrote:Ok but why is v7 not freeing resoruces for other programs then? Sure I could kill the GPU folding off entierly and that would fix the problem but I would rather not have to.

This isn't a problem with v7, but rather an issue with the way GPUs are currently designed and programmed. GPUs are not very good at handling multiple processes requesting significant processing time. This is due to them historically not needing to handle multiple heavy loads; you're usually watching a movie or playing a game, but not running multiple programs concurrently that would hit up the GPU that hard. The drivers that AMD and Nvidia write don't address this issue; I believe they could fix it if they wanted to, but it may also require a new approach to the architectural design, and considering how few people this problem affects, I'm not sure they're all that eager to pursue it.

CPUs are a different story, since for a long time now they've had to handle several programs requesting time at once, and for many years now both the hardware and software have been designed to facilitate complex work scheduling that avoids lag when possible.

The usual recommendation is to pause your GPU when running some other graphics-intensive program so that you don't encounter the lag issues you've been seeing. When you were running v6, you didn't see that lag since the SMP work could easily back off when other programs wanted CPU time, and your GPUs were idling and free to render anything thrown at them without interference. Most web browsers today by default have GPU acceleration enabled to speed things up, and so you'd probably want to disable that so you can use your browser without lag.

Note that if you're running SLI you'd need to pause both GPU slots when running graphically-intense programs. I know when I had my 460s in SLI I'd see video lag even if one of the slots was paused, but it went away when I either disabled SLI or paused both slots.
Zagen30

Postby Eagle_f90 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:39 am

Is there way to make the default run of the GPUs set to pause on launch?
Eagle_f90

Postby bruce » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:54 am

pause-on-start can be set to true.

Unfortunately there's no setting for finish-if-a-wu-has-already-been-started, which is what I would like.

Many programs such as video viewers or browsers or even the windows desktop have a private setting to disable hardware acceleration (i.e.-decode your video using the CPU, not the GPU.) Since GPUs have no concept of priority, there's no way to allow your screen to update to preempt FAH and update your screen before finishing the active block of FAH processing. Processing the same changes to your screen with your CPU may be slower, but it can preempt whatever else is being processed by the CPU, reducing the lag.

In one of the witepapers I read recently on one of the new GPUs, they've added the ability to allocate some of the shaders to one GPU task and the rest to another GPU task. Someday I expect that part of the GPU can be allocated to screen updates and the rest can be allocated to FAH -- but that will also require better drivers. (I don't remember whether it was AMD or NV, but I'm sure the other folks will have added it to their future plans.)

Suggestion: When you go to bed, start GPU folding. Depending on the time required to process the WUs being assigned, you can either click them to Finish and process one WU per night or you can click Finish early in the morning. Note: The time to process a WU depends on which project is assigned, and you don't get to choose.
bruce

Postby Grandpa_01 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:43 am

I do not think I would recommend the latest drivers 3.01 I installed them the other day on a Windows 7 980X with a GTX460 and when folding with the GPU in v7 the computer is unusable.
2 - SM H8QGi-F AMD 6xxx=112 cores @ 3.2 & 3.9Ghz
5 - SM X9QRI-f+ Intel 4650 = 320 cores @ 3.15Ghz
2 - I7 980X 4.4Ghz 2-GTX680
1 - 2700k 4.4Ghz GTX680
Total = 464 cores folding
Grandpa_01

Postby 7im » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:10 am

You are the first to report a problem with that driver version while everyone else says the drivers work wothout problems, and even fixes some problems.

Let's not be rash about it. It would take more than one bad report against so many good reports to pull that recommendation, but duely noted.

Run a driver cleaner and try again.
7im

Postby Grandpa_01 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:52 am

Already did that it did not work.
Grandpa_01

Postby 7im » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:38 pm

v285.xx was the last rock solid version. v296.xx was good, but disable the power saver mode on the display. That driver will cause the client to close down if the monitor goes in to standby.

304.xx sounds promising also, but haven't seen as many reports. None bad yet. Not sure if out beta status yet, but worth a shot.
7im

Postby Calendyr » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:48 pm

Sounds like this is an NVidia issue. I have the same problem you have with my 260 GTX but my Radeon 6870 causes no slowdown at all when folding. On the other hand people on the forum say that NVidia cards will give you more bang for the buck when folding. So pausing folding when you need the computer might be the solution unless there is a way to reduce GPU usage.
Calendyr

Next

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux