Help v7 wont let me doing anything else on computer

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Re: Help v7 wont let me doing anything else on computer

Postby codysluder » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:35 am

My video is as responsive as it ever has been (runnning 301.24 on Win7-64). Of course I have a relatively new but low-end GPU (GT 430) so that might explain the differences.
codysluder

Postby Eagle_f90 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:38 am

Thanks for all the help, it looks like I will just have to not GPU fold anymore.
Eagle_f90

Postby Grandpa_01 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:40 am

Is there a reason you have to use the 3.01 drivers you can revert bak to the 296 drivers and fold with no problem.
2 - SM H8QGi-F AMD 6xxx=112 cores @ 3.2 & 3.9Ghz
5 - SM X9QRI-f+ Intel 4650 = 320 cores @ 3.15Ghz
2 - I7 980X 4.4Ghz 2-GTX680
1 - 2700k 4.4Ghz GTX680
Total = 464 cores folding
Grandpa_01

Postby Eagle_f90 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:17 am

Grandpa_01 wrote:Is there a reason you have to use the 3.01 drivers you can revert bak to the 296 drivers and fold with no problem.

Me? Gaming improvments in the 3.04 drivers. 90% of the time I have my desktop turned on I am doing GPU intensive stuff and the computer does not stay on all day so GPU folding just will not work for me. I am setting up the new client on my windows 2008r2 box and will have both SMP and GPU folding on there.

Follow up question, since I will only be doing SMP folding is there away to configure F@H as a service so it runs when I turn the computer on?
Eagle_f90

Postby 7im » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:36 am

Driver version change won't change how much lag there is on the computer. It's been rather consistent for several versions. But folding either works or doesn't work with specific driver versions vs. specific hardware.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby compdewd » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:05 am

Eagle_f90 wrote:Follow up question, since I will only be doing SMP folding is there away to configure F@H as a service so it runs when I turn the computer on?

EDIT: There's a "--service" flag I found here, but I don't know how to add it

Yes, but AFAIK you would have to reinstall v7 :/
If it matters that much and you choose to reinstall, see the first "note" here and choose the third option from this list when you come to it in the installation:
compdewd

Postby codysluder » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:05 am

compdewd wrote:EDIT: There's a "--service" flag I found here, but I don't know how to add it
The --service flag doesn't make the client run as a service but is used internally for a different purpose.

You did get it right, though .... reinstall and specify the third option, as you suggested.
Yes, but AFAIK you would have to reinstall v7 :/
If it matters that much and you choose to reinstall, see the first "note" here and choose the third option from this list when you come to it in the installation:

It's also best if you use the Finish option to complete the folding and uploading of your current WUs. In this case, I recommend uninstalling and doing a clean install, so be sure to have your passkey available to paste into the setup screen. There's also an option to specify the Preferred Mode of GPU_&_SMP or SMP Only and it's best if you exclude the GPU at this point since Microsoft prohibits a GPU from running from a service. (There are ways to change that part later, but you might as well specify it initially.)
codysluder

Postby Grandpa_01 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:49 am

v7 of fah should set up to auto star when Windows startst as default settings both CPU and GPU if you chose both.
Grandpa_01

Postby bruce » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:07 am

Grandpa_01 wrote:v7 of fah should set up to auto star when Windows startst as default settings both CPU and GPU if you chose both.

I've made a number of one-line improvement suggestions to the install scripts but Development has turned them down. They didn't put detailed logic into the scripts and probably won't. They assumed that you have two choices: Either you are unfamiliar with FAH and you will choose the "one-size-fits-all" defaults which will work tolerably well for anyone. If you choose a custom install, then you DO understand the FAH options and you'll be taking full responsibility for the choices that work best for you.
bruce

Postby Jesse_V » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:16 am

bruce wrote:
Grandpa_01 wrote:v7 of fah should set up to auto star when Windows startst as default settings both CPU and GPU if you chose both.

I've made a number of one-line improvement suggestions to the install scripts but Development has turned them down. They didn't put detailed logic into the scripts and probably won't. They assumed that you have two choices: Either you are unfamiliar with FAH and you will choose the "one-size-fits-all" defaults which will work tolerably well for anyone. If you choose a custom install, then you DO understand the FAH options and you'll be taking full responsibility for the choices that work best for you.

There's logic in that, especially considering their limited resources, but still. :(
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Postby stev » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:46 pm

7im wrote:v285.xx was the last rock solid version. v296.xx was good, but disable the power saver mode on the display. That driver will cause the client to close down if the monitor goes in to standby.

304.xx sounds promising also, but haven't seen as many reports. None bad yet. Not sure if out beta status yet, but worth a shot.

My Quadro 4000 is running the 296.88 (8.17.12.6696) driver and has the same issues of being very sluggish and lagging. I can move the mouse coursor half-way across the screen, wait 3-4 second and then move it again. :biggrin:

Looking forward for a solution. My computer only has one GPU card and no room for anything else. The 4000 OpenGL card wasn't cheap either. So, I'm hoping to keep it folding and have some better response. Looking for a solution. Not sure if the GPU Index or the GPU core indices or the openCL+cuda index tweaks can help here. Seems that there are no real experts in these matters, just guesses for now.
stev

Postby Jesse_V » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:53 pm

stev wrote:Looking forward for a solution. My computer only has one GPU card and no room for anything else. The 4000 OpenGL card wasn't cheap either. So, I'm hoping to keep it folding and have some better response. Looking for a solution. Not sure if the GPU Index or the GPU core indices or the openCL+cuda index tweaks can help here. Seems that there are no real experts in these matters, just guesses for now.

There are others who are looking forward to a better solution. Last I heard Dr. Pande was "thinking" about a screensaver, which would do GPU folding when the user wasn't using the computer, as a workaround to this driver/OS-related problem. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21367&hilit=screen%20saver&start=15#p213602

The index changes probably won't change anything, but there are few other things you could try to reduce the lag, most of which have been discussed on this thread.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Postby 7im » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:42 pm

The index settings absolutely won't change anything in regards to lag.

Follow the suggestions in this and other threads about GPU lag... Enable Aero, use newest driver, set CPU usage for the GPU slot ONLY from 100% down to 50%, free up one CPU core from the SMP client to let GPU run unhindered, etc.

Then wait patiently for the fahcores to be updated so they support a GPU Usage slider, or the GPU screensaver, which ever comes first. Or move the GPU to a computer that doesn't see daily use. That way it can fold unhindered by human interuptions. ;)
7im

Postby bruce » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:53 pm

stev wrote:Not sure if the GPU Index or the GPU core indices or the openCL+cuda index tweaks can help here. Seems that there are no real experts in these matters, just guesses for now.
When you have more than ont GPU, the index settings allows the client to talk to a particular one of them. Once a particular WU starts to fold, the effeciency/speed with which is is processed is governed by the drivers and by the FahCore.

There's no guessing involved. The process is well understood. Every programmer who writes code that uses a GPU, whether it's Windows painting a screen, FahCore_xx processing a WU, a game trying to produce a maximum frame rate, or a video player decoding flash or a video, makes the same assumption: that the GPU will be idle whenever it wants to use it. Each one of those applications works efficiently when it's the only thing using the GPU but does not when it has to contend for resources.

If you disable GPU acceleration of, say the Flash Player, it will use the CPU code instead of the GPU code. Since the CPU is designed to multi-task, it will probably do a better job of interrupting the SMP client to render the images (even though the CPU will be slower). Unfortunately, you have to figure out how to diable the GPU rendering for each application separately except for the one to which you choose to give unrestricted GPU processing.
bruce

Postby P5-133XL » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:28 am

Nice theory, but i've tried disabling GPU acceleration in a variety of products including the flash player. Unfortunately, it's never done any good. I've noticed that just having a video box on a web page, even if it is not playing, will cause horrendous lag. I sympathize with those people that are significantly affected.

Lots of people out of habit or convenience will keep a browser active but minimized and if there is flash on a page/tab that would cause problems continuously. Perhaps that is not the best habit to have while folding or you can do what I do -- I now constantly pause GPU folding on my primary GPU whenever a browser is up and running.

The newest GPU drivers is not inherently the best anti-lag solution. For a long time I used 260.99 (for 2x Nvidia GTX 460's) as my standard driver without a significant amount of lag. Then there was a project that claimed better PPD for drivers newer than 301.?? so I switched and gained lots more lag for my trouble. As a side note, I never saw an increase in PPD either. I do note that if you are running Keplers you will need newer drivers for the older drivers do not support those cards. Also, Quatro cards typically need their own drivers rather than generic Nvidia drivers so there are limits to the drivers you can pick from.

I agree with Bruce that changing the GPU index is not a cure-all. first you need more than one video card for that to be of any use at all. Next, I don't believe that lag is solely determined by the primary GPU. I haven't had significantly different video cards to test out if the performance of the card itself is a factor. I do know that pausing the primary video card will eliminate lag. Having normally 2x GTX 460 that when one died the lag significantly increased. My conclusion was that the secondary GPU does matter.

Just my observations (or my 2 cents)
P5-133XL

PreviousNext

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux